Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 16-04-2011 , 02:38 PM
rm3d

a little question on UV mapping

hey i was wondering, is there a way to tell which way round your UV map is, i mean if i have a simple cube and i perform an automatic map on it, is there anyway to tell what way round each UV face is? ive noticed that if i bring it straight into Photoshop each face is different??

the more I Think I know about Maya the less I seem to know about it.

check me out www.rm3d.co.uk
# 2 16-04-2011 , 04:16 PM
Super Moderator
Could you elaborate? Do you mean you want to be able to tell how your UV shells are oriented?

- Genny
# 3 16-04-2011 , 06:10 PM
EduSciVis-er
If I get what you're saying, yes. In the UVTE: Image > Shade UVs. Blue means it's normals are correct, red is normals wrong way.

Or do you mean how to determine which face is which? In which case you can use the 3D paint tool to sketch rough guides or identifiers, just create a new material, open the 3D paint tool option and Assign/Edit Textures, then Save Texture somewhere where you can open in PS and make the proper texture. Hope that make sense.

# 4 17-04-2011 , 09:28 AM
rm3d
ah yes which way they are orientated, so if i was to put text on the "face" in Photoshop i wouldnt have to put it sideways just so its the right way round in Maya.

Stwert that sounds like a very good idea to solving the problem, thanks

furthermore when you mentioned orientation i started looking at the origin x/y/z in the view port and x/y in the texture editor and figure you can work out it looking at that as well. user added image

the more I Think I know about Maya the less I seem to know about it.

check me out www.rm3d.co.uk