Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 09-04-2012 , 01:41 PM
Subscriber

Low Poly dairy asle

Hi there, it has been awile since I have been here, but I am hoping this time I will be having more time to spend here. To start with, I need to ask a question. I am designing low poly shopping mart for my game I would like to develop. The goal is for the player to pick up a few things from a shopping list for survival. I am in the process of trying to design a dairy asle including refrigerators with doors as oppose to dairy cases. I thought I could create a a higher res refridgerator with actual models of milk, eggs, orange juice, etc, and then bake it to my low polygon refrigerator. My problem I have come to is with creating the flouresent tube lights that are attached to the sides of the refrigerator. I did a little bit of research on google and found out that this type of method deals with Mental Ray and Photons. I tried following the steps from this tutorial but I am not sure what the sample settings mean and do and how much vaules are appropriate. For example, why am I setting the high samples to 12 and not 6 or 30 or whatever, and why am I to enter 2 for the high sample limit as oppose to 7 or 1 etc.

# 2 09-04-2012 , 03:22 PM
Subscriber
here is a WIP, showing you I have no clue what I am doing

The scene units I am using is 1 unit = 1 foot, and my refrigerator is 3 units wide by 3 units depth by 6 units high, along with 2 flourecent tube lights. Each tube is attached to a surface shader and is grouped with an area light with the intensity set to 0.25 decay rate to cubic. However, the render is still blown out. Any ideas?

Attached Thumbnails
# 3 09-04-2012 , 08:00 PM

here is a WIP, showing you I have no clue what I am doing

The scene units I am using is 1 unit = 1 foot, and my refrigerator is 3 units wide by 3 units depth by 6 units high, along with 2 flourecent tube lights. Each tube is attached to a surface shader and is grouped with an area light with the intensity set to 0.25 decay rate to cubic. However, the render is still blown out. Any ideas?

How large are the lights? Also, you should read up on linear lighting - I think it's quite simple to implement in newer versions of Maya, and will improve any render significantly, and also provide more natural intensity fall off,

gubar

# 4 13-04-2012 , 03:37 AM
Subscriber
Hio gubar,
While searching for linear lighting, I did come across a tuturial about global illumination and final gather. This made me realize that I did not need a surface shader and a emit photon light. Below is an update... However, I am not quite grasping how linear lighting would fixed my over enfussed lighting, when if I understood correctly, linear lighting has to deal with gamma problems. Yeah this might be useful at the end, that is if I really need it. On the other hand I am only talking about my project going towards a video game which does not require photorealistic detail. All in all, thanks for the help gubar

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by junkyBob; 13-04-2012 at 03:39 AM.