Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 18-05-2006 , 05:12 PM
Subscriber

yast another mech..

well, thought a while if i should post my crap here, but finally i decided to give it a try.

I mainly copied the mech from the modling tut, but tweaked the body.
Seemed to me a bit to small for the legs.
I think it's weapons look not much as a thread. Since it is an
assault mech, with primary soft targets, such as trucks and
inf, it should get a weapon that works fast and precise.
What other choice as a roaring gatling could come up? user added image

anyhow, as i am a noob at rendering, ok, i'm a noob at all, but most at rendering..my images always seem blury like wearing the wrong glasses. Maybe someone could give me a clue to achive better results.

thx 4 reading that far

--- Mac --

Attached Thumbnails

..the Force is with me (sometimes)
# 2 18-05-2006 , 05:20 PM
Good work mate and welcome to simply maya!

I like the improvements to the mech design a lot, especially some of the details in the legs.user added image

As for blurry images, maybe you should increase the resolution of your image.

# 3 25-05-2006 , 07:43 PM
Subscriber

at last

Pew..

this uv layout took forever. But at last it's ready for the funpart now. After all, i think organic texturing is less hard.
There aresome edges in this mech with enormous potential to drive me insane. :headbang:

but i had a lot of fun and btw. - thx to kurt for the mech texture tut which without this would have been much more difficult.

in the render i always got this little artifacts around the edges.
They occur only when i use shadows with a light. Maybe someone
could post some mayor settings to get rid of them.

cheers

mac

Attached Thumbnails

# 4 25-05-2006 , 07:45 PM
Subscriber

render

and here a smart render.
i know. some parts are weird, but i wanted to see if the map works well. See the artifacts? Please someone help.

cheers

mac

Attached Thumbnails

# 5 29-05-2006 , 01:23 AM
Subscriber

here we are...

Attached Thumbnails

# 6 29-05-2006 , 04:28 PM
Subscriber
that a really cool texture. its camouflaged.
what did he use his rockets on? user added image

A pint of example is worth a gallon of advice!!
# 7 30-05-2006 , 01:18 PM
Subscriber

hehe

well, i used subD's for the rockets but...

i removed accidently all UV's from the rockets while laying out the box. so they looked transparent.

No big deal - i thought - just convert in nurbs and put a ramp shader on them. But the convert dettached the surfaces so they were all chunked. While trying to grab a rocket i moved the head or body while the bottom stayed in the box...at that point, i lost my patience..hehe :headbang:

anyway, i don't like nurbs at all, the idea of using nurbs along with polygons is not my game. I'm getting rid of them all in the scene and stick to friendy, relieable polys. user added image

So another uv map change. man, i dream of this little dots at night, i can tell ya..

The changes in the uv map are through now maybe your wanna take a look?

cheers

-- mac --

# 8 30-05-2006 , 01:24 PM
Subscriber

uv map

30.000 dot's and i know each by name...

Attached Thumbnails

# 9 30-05-2006 , 07:10 PM
Subscriber
oh man i made a mech :headbang: i hope i can texture it as good as yours could you tell me if it is easy enough please mac762 btw this is my beast

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by tadpole3159; 30-05-2006 at 07:12 PM.
# 10 30-05-2006 , 08:25 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Nice modeling from both dudes here

But for me theres an issue of 'centre of gravity' with the Mech by Mac, Iknow its from a tute but the Mech is so laden with weight on the front end it would just fall over. I think if you are going to improve it, place the feet beneath the body more.

Cheers
Jay

# 11 30-05-2006 , 08:52 PM
Subscriber

omg

woah !

This "Thing" looks aweful...you'll have a hell of fun with the uv map, i guess. The map is the key to a good looking texture. Btw, the last one i posted is only a quick and dirty one i did in 10 minutes to see if there is streching going on somewhere. wait till ya see the final one user added image

The texture itself is the funpart. I recommend the mech texture tut by Kurt. It's really good for beginning and for the texture part. But it lacks a bit on how to use the tools in the uv editor. ( @ Kurt :bandituser added image

Before you start :

- doublecheck the normals ! See if they point in the right direction ( preferable outwards).

- if you copy complete parts, such as legs, you copy the, hopefully correct layed out uv's, with it. Make sure to flip the copied uv's.

- make sure all is poly. if you use subD'S - convert back to poly before you map. Maya screwed up my whole map a couple of times ( before it crashed) when i tried to move unmapped UV'S from a subD.

I don't know how good your uv mapping skill is, but believe me, when you've finished that baby, you'll be an expert.
A good idea would be to delete the UV's from your model before you start to map. Yes, i tell you why..
Because, UV's that share a vertex in your map won't pop up when you select the vertex/UV. This is so dam anoying, so better get rid of them right from the start. That makes sure you only grab the one's you want and you can see which parts you already mapped cause all unmapped geometry looks transparent.

Take advantage of every single mapping type. In fact, sometime it is better to let maya do an auto mapping and puzzle the pieces together again by hand, as doing planars or whatever and fiddle along with on top lying uv's. Use the shortcuts and marking menus a lot , cause it will speed up your workflow tremendously

I doubt that you could put all of the geometry in a single shader. So split the parts up in legs, torso etc, or whatever fits your needs. When it comes to the UV Snapshot - don't let the res to low. I don't dare to tell it, but i used 1280 by 1280 for mine. If it's to low your texture will get chunky and worst thing, it will be very hard to find single lines later on in Photoshop to place details in the right place. Last, try to place the pieces on the map like they are on model. That makes it easier to follow the geometry when you are doing some camoflage texture. Otherwise stripes and lines may stop at an edge an continue on a complete other side..hehe

The job will be hard, and you'll probably will be near to insanty more than once. But keep on, it's worth the effort.

good luck

--- mac ---

# 12 30-05-2006 , 08:59 PM
Subscriber

Garvity

hum...yep, right. I have a little balance problem. But this is still the model pose. maybe it solves when i pose him a bit.

i have absolutly no idea how to rig that thing. Organic - np, but this stiff fellow...tried some grouping and parentig, but ended up in a mess :headbang:

my master said: must get older and wiser and gain patience, young padawan....

# 13 30-05-2006 , 09:03 PM
Subscriber
Looks great especially the army one.

# 14 03-06-2006 , 02:11 AM
Subscriber

finally

it's done so far:attn:
no mech no more for a long time ..

no spec map on it, maybe later

cheers

mac

Attached Thumbnails

# 15 03-06-2006 , 02:35 AM
Very impressive renders, models, UV maps (I HATE doing those. True dat with using lots of short cuts with keys for doing them.) and materials.

I am in awe of both your creative talent to do with Mech's; they look extremely cool. Keep going(!), I'll be watching the progress of any Mech now.

bobalie