Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 30-10-2006 , 05:49 PM

girl

Hello everyone,

This is the first of two projects that I started over the last couple of weeks. I was going to keep her low poly at first, but then I just kept adding detail, so I might try out subdiv surfaces as I haven't used them much yet.

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 30-10-2006 , 05:49 PM
here is a side view...

Attached Thumbnails
# 3 30-10-2006 , 05:52 PM
and here is a view of the back. Still trying to get my head around edge loops - need to do a lot of work on the shoulders - and also her feet and her ears and everything..

Attached Thumbnails
# 4 03-11-2006 , 06:33 AM
looks good for a game character arran user added image

I like the fact you've gone for a heavier frame than the usual skinny bimbo styles that always crop up. Are you going to scult the lines around a stomach/rib cage area next?

Examples of bTraffic - a traffic animation tool for Maya
bFlocking - a tool for Maya 8.5+ to generate flocking and swarming behaviours
Jan/Feb Challenge 2007 Entry and W.I.P
May/Jun Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Mar/Apr Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Jan/Feb Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Nov/Dec Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Sep/Oct Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Jul/Aug Challenge 2005 Entry
www.flash-fx.net
# 5 03-11-2006 , 07:13 AM
Subscriber
Quite good anatomy there Arran. Yeah deffo fresh. Nothing wrong with supermodel run-off-the-mill type stuff, but it's real nice to see sommit different for a change.

However it might be the odd angle, but the head looks incredibly big. This is cool if you're going for an ogre (not being mean, just saying if user added image ), or heroic proportion type thing.

A tool of meassurement if you want to "correct" it some tho would be about 2 heads width from shoulder to shoulder for femmes, and sort of take it from there. Hope it helps.

Good work.

Currently working on reclaiming Space
The Salvation Prophecy
# 6 03-11-2006 , 08:09 AM
hey - thanks t1ck and AlphaFlyte,

ha ha - ogre girl, now you've got me thinking... yeah, I can see what you mean about the head. It was looking a bit big.

I spent the last few days working on the head - I roughed in the ear, worked on the edge loops and added detail to the eyes and mouth. Still a lot to do...

Attached Thumbnails
# 7 03-11-2006 , 08:13 AM
and here is a picture of the rest of the body. Not sure if the head is looking any better...

i have been adding a bit more definition here and there - I definitely plan to work on the ribcage soon and sort out the rest of the problem areas...

Attached Thumbnails
# 8 03-11-2006 , 08:52 AM
Looks rad arran. As tick135 says it will be good to see a change from the normal chicks people model and it is certainly coming a long well so far.

keep up the pressure

# 9 03-11-2006 , 09:02 AM
thanks leonlabyk. user added image

Hastings, eh?.... The last time I was in Hastings I crashed my car into a house. ended up parked next to a deaf lady watching eastenders....

here is a picture of my model smoothed...

Attached Thumbnails
# 10 03-11-2006 , 10:16 AM
hahahahaahahahah

sounds like quite a story, or you must of been real desperate to catch that episode.

The model is looking aewsome arran, can't wait to see how this comes along.

# 11 03-11-2006 , 05:34 PM
Nice going mate.

You going high poly or low for this? and your Rhino too (which looks sweet so far too!)

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 12 05-11-2006 , 12:17 AM
i think if you round the front of the face off towards the back of the head more then it should help. Also from those angles the ear looks way too far back and accentuates the face problem.

other than that it looks good user added image

Examples of bTraffic - a traffic animation tool for Maya
bFlocking - a tool for Maya 8.5+ to generate flocking and swarming behaviours
Jan/Feb Challenge 2007 Entry and W.I.P
May/Jun Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Mar/Apr Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Jan/Feb Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Nov/Dec Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Sep/Oct Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Jul/Aug Challenge 2005 Entry
www.flash-fx.net
# 13 05-11-2006 , 06:55 AM
Acid44
looking good only crit is shes got no ass but i guess thats a personal pref.user added image

# 14 05-11-2006 , 06:39 PM
thanks for the comments guys. user added image

small update - I spent some time attaching the ear to the head (ears are a pain!) and trying to position it a bit better. Still a lot of vertex tickling to do, but it's getting there slowly.

gster - not sure if this is going to be a high or low poly model - I think I am just going to keep adding detail and see how it turns out. Are you still working on your head mate? The lion that you posted in Wishbonekenobi's thread looked excellent.

Attached Thumbnails
# 15 05-11-2006 , 08:28 PM
Hey Arran

I found that attaching the ears were a right pain, I tried extruding then form the head etc so that the geo would flow better but that was sitll a right mess too!

I've kinda settled on the head that I was doing, got to a point where I was seeing the same things and there was no progress, so moved onto the body at the moment. I really need to learn to texture, Z brush helps out but i'm still ropey at it, just practice I guess!

Cheers for the comments on the lion, I'm doing it to have a play with fur to see the results.

Gotta say that the body on yoyr character looks really good, like other peeps have said its good to see more modeling getting away from the "perfect" model, adds more realism, which when it comes to texturing will make it that little bit harder! LOL!

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle