Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 16-12-2002 , 07:48 PM
Subscriber

How do I render with transparency

Okay, in the attached image you see two aircrafts I made. There are two nurbs plane for the background images, one behind the airplanes and the other beneath the airplanes which I used for a reflection on the belly. Problem is there is not suposed to be a reflection of the ground on the topside of the airplanes. The reflection of the image beneath the airplanes is OK.

Is there a way to turn off the reflection of the image in the background? I tried to render the background and foreground separately and layer them on top of eachother in Photoshop, but then I get the black background surrounding the aircrafts instead of a transparent one. I set Alpha channel to on and a Targa image format in render globals but still no transparency. What am I doing wrong?

# 2 16-12-2002 , 07:57 PM
Subscriber

Re: How do I render with transparency

Originally posted by sdch1000
Okay, in the attached image you see two aircrafts I made. There are two nurbs plane for the background images, one behind the airplanes and the other beneath the airplanes which I used for a reflection on the belly. Problem is there is not suposed to be a reflection of the ground on the topside of the airplanes. The reflection of the image beneath the airplanes is OK.

Is there a way to turn off the reflection of the image in the background? I tried to render the background and foreground separately and layer them on top of eachother in Photoshop, but then I get the black background surrounding the aircrafts instead of a transparent one. I set Alpha channel to on and a Targa image format in render globals but still no transparency. What am I doing wrong?

what is the posititon of the image plane?

<html><font size=2>
<font color="blue">
And after calming me down with some orange slices and some fetal spooning,
E.T. revealed to me his singular purpose.

--TOOL, 10,000 Days---

</font></pre>
</html>
# 3 16-12-2002 , 08:05 PM
Subscriber
maybe this can explain the positions. The image on the bottom is only used as a reflection for the belly. The real background picture is the one to the left.

# 4 16-12-2002 , 08:54 PM
Subscriber
ok, the physics of your scene is fine. your problem is that you are catching the reflection from the back plane on the camera (1) try turning of 'visible in reflections' option for the plane

<html><font size=2>
<font color="blue">

--TOOL, 10,000 Days---

</font></pre>
</html>
# 5 16-12-2002 , 08:56 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by iron_tick
ok, the physics of your scene is fine. your problem is that you are catching the reflection from the back plane on the camera (1) try turning of 'visible in reflections' option for the plane

I ment the back image plane ...not the plane LOL ooops

<html><font size=2>
<font color="blue">

--TOOL, 10,000 Days---

</font></pre>
</html>
# 6 16-12-2002 , 09:01 PM
Subscriber
Thanks iron_tick, I never knew there was an option for that.

Steven C.
# 7 16-12-2002 , 09:27 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by sdch1000
Thanks iron_tick, I never knew there was an option for that.

No Prob

<html><font size=2>
<font color="blue">

--TOOL, 10,000 Days---

</font></pre>
</html>