Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 20-01-2007 , 04:36 PM

modeling video installations in 3d

Hi,

I'm an artist with a background in film and photography. What I'd like to do is model video installations in 3d on my mac. That is, I want to have multiple channels of video as planes that can be arranged and viewed in three dimensions (I assume no program now can model actual projection although that would be really cool). I'm not sure as of now if I want to export the models as video files, in which case I would map the path of the camera through the installation, or as actual models which the user could manipulate (also not sure what formats there are for this- do people still use vrml?). So I'm probably looking for a program that could do both.

I've started to learn Maya, using video tutorials and such online. I figured this would be good because I'm applying for some jobs with design and architectural firms. However, I find the learning curve extremely steep almost entirely because the interface is so counterintuitive to me (especially compared with the programs I'm used to like final cut and photoshop, for which I required pretty much no instruction). I think part of the problem is also that I don't have a three button mouse and so have been getting by with keyboard shortcuts (although I can't figure out the one for the middle button). Long story short, I've been trying for a while and can't get my video textures to even show up.

So, I'm wondering if I should keep working with Maya or consider different programs. Is it possible to do what I'm talking about in a compositing tool (I have Shake as part of Final Cut Studio)? I figured if I'm learning 3d I should learn an industry standard, but maybe there is a program more suited to working with video, and possibly easier. What would you all recommend? Thanks.

Zach

# 2 20-01-2007 , 04:50 PM
well you can apply videos as textures to objects, but if you try to export to vrml the video won't play - animation isn't exported, only models and textures. (baked lighting) the video would be an animated texture so you might only get the first frame of each.

if you rendered it out the video would play... but don't render out to an avi file, render to an image sequence - and then put it together in final cut.

i know in adobe after effects you can move the 'camera' and video layers around in 3d space, but i haven't actually played with it yet.

edit: as far as 'actual projection' like you were talking about, you might be able to map the videos to the color portion of a spotlight and then actually project it like as from a film projector... so if objects get in the way the light would be cast on the objects and not on the screen...

Accept no substitutions.

Last edited by NeoStrider; 20-01-2007 at 04:52 PM.
# 3 20-01-2007 , 05:27 PM
Im a bit confusede as what you want to do.

Do you want to make a 2d plate look 3d, via texturing? I'm sure you can do whatever you want in maya with regards to film ect.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 4 20-01-2007 , 07:40 PM
I gather theres no common format that supports video in virtual reality, so that I could share it on my website for instance. However, I have to believe that there must be some kind of format somewhere that I could export those to for my own viewing.

As far as projection that idea with the spotlight would not work in real life optics as a lens is needed to focus the light. Anyway, if it did work in Maya it seems like it would be rather complicated to set up and I've already described my skill level or lack thereof. But projection is not really what concerns me.

As far as after effects, yes thats the kind of thing I'm asking. If anyone has experience using a program like after effects or shake for something like this please speak up!

Neostrider- why do you reccomend rendering as an image sequence? Is Maya not so good for rendering video frames as an movie? Thats why I asked if there was another 3d program that was better and easier for this kind of thing, as its a rather unorthodox use of one. Of course I guess a specifically Maya forum is not the best place to ask this!

Gster- I'm trying to model a multi-screen video installation so I can see what it looks like and show it to gallery's without having to find a good space and bunch of projectors. I'm talking about something like this by one of my idols, Bruce Nauman: https://www.tate.org.uk/servlet/ViewW...xt&texttype=10

# 5 22-01-2007 , 07:52 PM
from the image on the page you linked, it looks like mapping your videos to a light would be what you want. yes, in real world you'd need a lens, but in 3d, if you want a light to appear that it's coming from behind a cookie, you map an image to its color output (or sometimes its intensity, depending). it's relatively easy to do as far as 'things you can do in maya'... it's just that people don't play with lighting as much as they do modeling so it usually seems 'out of reach' or whatever.

as for why output to image sequence... since i'm working with a PC version of maya i can't speak for quicktime (since it's not one of my render output options) but when rendering out to a .avi file you can experience problems that rendering out to an image sequence can avoid or significantly reduce.

I gather theres no common format that supports video in virtual reality, so that I could share it on my website for instance. However, I have to believe that there must be some kind of format somewhere that I could export those to for my own viewing.

i don't understand what you mean there. i guess i'm asking for a better description of what you want. you showed me a site with an image that appears to be a an art studio/gallery with images projected on the wall.

for a still, honestly, in 3d you would make a box (for polys invert the normals - for nurbs just put the camera inside), then make 3 lights and connect a separate video to each light, point them towards the wall and you're pretty much done.

if you want something interactive i'd recommend making a flash site which uses pre-rendered images you created in 3d or just in flash. using vrml with programs like cortona is kinda iffy, unless you have prior experience with it.

Accept no substitutions.