Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 26-05-2008 , 10:23 AM

Character Modelling - Your opinion

So guys...

I was wondering how you model characters. Specifically the head!

Let's say that you working in poly, and are making a head. How do you start? With a box, and move vert's or?

I would like to get started on this myself, so i wanna know user added image

Any pic posts or wireframes would be great.

Cheers

(__/)
(='.'=) This is bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination
# 2 26-05-2008 , 10:45 AM
The Maya Mountain
I typically start with a cylinder.

# 3 26-05-2008 , 10:46 AM
ok, and then u add verts and geometry as you go?

(__/)
# 4 26-05-2008 , 11:44 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Personally I start with a cube, its all down to preference at the end of the day, as Mike uses cylinders, I believe Kurt uses a nurbs sphere now and then for blocking then converts later.

Yeah always add the geometry as you go, start as low as possible and push the shapes as far as you can before adding more to it. Check the topology thread in the WiP section, theres plenty of wires there to muse over.

Cheers
Jay

# 5 26-05-2008 , 12:26 PM
The Maya Mountain
yeah I used to start with a cube, but realized eventually that my first few steps were always curving the surface around the face to create a more cylindrical shape so I found just starting with a cylinder saved me a couple minutes.

# 6 26-05-2008 , 01:08 PM
ok. I believe that many also use z-brush. Is that only for painting? Theres some modeling involved too right?

(__/)
# 7 26-05-2008 , 02:55 PM
Level 32 pachyderm
I use a cylinder or sphere

U can model in z brush but i dont know much about it

# 8 26-05-2008 , 04:45 PM
I usually start in zbrush, then retopo it in silo and ends up in Maya.

Carsten Lind
Senior 3D Artist,
Maya Software Manager & Maya Instructor
LEGO Systems A/S
# 9 26-05-2008 , 09:58 PM
I use cylinder

# 10 26-05-2008 , 10:13 PM
i tend to create a cv curve of a side view of the object, duplicate it then move it to the ide just a little so you can create a loft make the loft shape a ploy then i work out from the middle creating each poly.

# 11 26-05-2008 , 11:32 PM
Subscriber
sculpting in zbrush is fine and dandy, but unless you start it out with good geometry in maya you'll usually end up doing as caligraphics mentioned and retopologize it later.
-don't think think that it'll be any more awesome if you aren't sure about your anatomy though.

Anyway, I usually just end up using zbrush for displacement/normal projection rather than pure modeling

I started in max, so I model with edge-extrusion because it's optimized to work quickly with that method. Usually with a polyPipe for the eyes and the mouth, then slowly connecting them up. This method allows you more precise control over the topology and smaller forms, usually at the cost of the overall form that box modeling will let you in on.

Last edited by Funky Bunnies; 26-05-2008 at 11:35 PM.
# 12 27-05-2008 , 02:11 AM
Yep! I gotta agree with Funky Bunnies, you cant beat a base mesh out of Maya, Max etc before getting into zbrush.

Again this is part of my actual workflow. Maya for base mesh and uvs, then off to Zbrush (if need be) for extra sculpting for displacemnts or normal mapping and sometimes full textures. then back to maya. To build and retopologies is one step too far in the modeling process as it can be a long haul without making it drag on.

Also I find Zb very useful for pushing facial expressions even further as you can 'grab' a handfull of verts and move them in one go instead of the one at a time in maya. Again, my base expressions are done first in Maya to make sure they are okay.

Another great thing with all of this is that once you have a base head built that you are really happy with you can use it over and over and sculpt different heads in zbrush without rebuilding your head every time. Of course there will come a point when your skills will have improved and you'll want to though...

cheers
J

# 13 27-05-2008 , 03:21 AM
I go form a poly cube make a base mech then inpoty into Zbrush sculpt, then export and UV then re-import as a morph target (not too sure if this is the best way, just that the base topology can move when sculpting and mess with the UV's).

I then either texture in Z poly painting/Projection brushing using a combination between Z and PS.

As Jay and Funkey said, getting a nice base mesh is the way to go.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 14 27-05-2008 , 07:06 AM
ok, so if you are really going for the realistic "looks" you cant get it, without z-brush or?

Or is z-brush just better and faster when you've created base mesh in maya ?

(__/)
# 15 27-05-2008 , 07:12 AM
Zbrush is fast - BUT...!!!!

Dont be fooled by the 'holy crap' factor ...'it does this and this'. No it basically you that does it the software is merely the tool. Stuff can look photoreal without the use of zb. Its the way you implement everything. Same as rendering..just because mental ray does this and that, it wont stop anyone from outputting a crap render...I hope you can see what Im saying.

the more realistic you aim for the harder you gotta work!

Jay