Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 25-08-2008 , 02:48 AM

Maya- Move tool (scale-rotate)need help

hi everyone,
very simple and silly question, can you remind me the answer,
using move tool, the object has been moved around alot, now i want scale the object but cant get the scale the way that i want, bcoz the tool is not stright, could you please have a look at image and remind me wht should i do, thaks

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 25-08-2008 , 07:01 AM
Subscriber
try hitting the "r" key to get the scale function.
If that isn't what you are looking for, show us what you mean by "not working" and try to keep similar or same posts to One thread.

Peace, love and Anarchy~~~~~~~
Arch Viz Reel

My Website is Finally Back up!

“Welcome to the Internet. Where the men are men, the women are men, and the children are FBI agents.”
# 3 25-08-2008 , 07:55 AM
thanks for replay, I know how to find the rotate (R), what I am looking for is : the pivot is changed" how can I turn the pivot back to the center of object, from the image in right hand side you can see that the pivot is not center to the object, it is just in the middle of no where, when I try rotate or scale the object I cant get the right way that I want(as default way) because the pivot is not centered to the object, but in the image in left hand side i can , bcoz it is just has been made fresh, poly cube,

I found it today . when I create cube and I move it around, after I delete history , the pivot become like that, so how can I return it to the normal(default way) as left image?

I am in the middle of doing something , I notice that I got this problem, this image is just reference what problem I got,

need help guys,

# 4 25-08-2008 , 08:07 AM
thanks for replay, I know how to find the rotate (R), what I am looking for is : the pivot is changed" how can I turn the pivot back to the center of object, from the image in right hand side you can see that the pivot is not center to the object, it is just in the middle of no where, when I try rotate or scale the object I cant get the right way that I want(as default way) because the pivot is not centered to the object, but in the image in left hand side i can , bcoz it is just has been made fresh, poly cube,

I found it today . when I create cube and I move it around, after I delete history , the pivot become like that, so how can I return it to the normal(default way) as left image?

I am in the middle of doing something , I notice that I got this problem, this image is just reference what problem I got,

need help guys,

# 5 25-08-2008 , 08:17 AM
Lifetime Member
If you mean the rotation of the scale tool is not the same as the object then if you have frozen the transforms you can't line it back up, the only way would be to rotate your object back to verticle and the world then freeze the transformations again making the tool in line with the object.
If simply want to center the pivot on the object ,select the object and just go to Modify and then click on center pivot.
If you want to do something other than this then you need to explain more clearly what the problem is and what you want to do.

2 x Modeling Challenge Winner
# 6 25-08-2008 , 09:18 AM

If you mean the rotation of the scale tool is not the same as the object then if you have frozen the transforms you can't line it back up, the only way would be to rotate your object back to verticle and the world then freeze the transformations again making the tool in line with the object.

yes that is what happened to me, I delete the history and freeze tranformation

then freeze the transformations again making the tool in line with the object= how? can you explain more please,

# 7 25-08-2008 , 10:23 AM
Lifetime Member
Ok it's quite simple you have to make your object in line with the world space, so select the rotate tool and rotate the object so the it is verticle.Now freeze the transformations and the pivot will be in line since if you freeze transforms the pivot lines up with the world space.
I can't put it any simpler than that and if that is beyond you then i'm sorry you will never learn Maya.

2 x Modeling Challenge Winner
# 8 25-08-2008 , 11:14 AM
thanks mate it helps, cheers

# 9 27-08-2008 , 05:45 PM
tanks guys for the replay. I am modeling huge building architecture, windows, doors, bricks. glass, bla bla,,,,,
I did mistakes , I delete the history of the object, now i have trouble to rotate them as default way, it is centered to the object but not align to the object, it is bite hard to rotate/scale the object , I tried every way, but didn't change at all, also I cant get back to the step one, I cant model all the stuff again.

so i am in bite hard situation.
I tried
center pivot
freez trans
hit D and move the pivot to the corner or center of the object and than scale it,(it is helps) but I have nearly 2000
object(city) in my scene, so I can not go through every single object and center the pivot to the edge or corner of the object to scale it,
that must be some other way,
remember the history has been deleted,

Attached Thumbnails
# 10 27-08-2008 , 06:08 PM
I still didn't understand exactly what's the problem (I guess I'm a lost case) but if it's some kind of a repetitive process you can probably make a mel script that'll do it for you.
Also remember that it shouldn't always be perfectly accurate.
Benny

When in doubt, delete history and freeze transformations.

My latest snake game
(Requires DirectX9 SDK and Framework)

Last edited by BennyK; 27-08-2008 at 06:11 PM.
# 11 27-08-2008 , 11:51 PM
just group all of your objects and scale them together.

also.... F1!!!

user added image

# 12 29-08-2008 , 01:28 AM

Try it ..... Hope it will help

Salam,

I think your means that when you rotate an object the direction of Gizmo has been changed.. means goes to its default position.

Very simple, select object, hold down "W" key and left click and choose "Object" from the menus. It will make the Gizmo in the direction of an object. An you can rotate or scale or move in the direction of an object. Hope it will help.

I think you were wanted as in my thought.

Ali Faisal
Digital Art

# 13 29-08-2008 , 02:07 AM
hi faisal thanks for replay, what you mean with left click(on where) there is no left click(LMB) , also where is the menu of left click, could you please be more clear, thanks for replay

# 14 29-08-2008 , 02:14 AM
You have to select first object, then press and hold "w" and the middle of the Gizmo press and hold Left Mouse Button (LMB) you will get menu. Choose "Object" from the menu. Try it....

Ali Faisal
Digital Art

# 15 29-08-2008 , 02:58 AM
I tried, doesn't helps , it is the same as you select the object, and than double click on move tool in tool bar, you get all option in right hand side, like object/world/normal
I tried this options many times, does not help at all, bcoz the history has been deleted already,

thanks anyway faisal