Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 31 25-02-2007 , 05:07 AM
^^Go the hypershader window and select the atomsphere material. In the attribute editor, under "Special Effects" the glow parameter is there.

# 32 25-02-2007 , 05:14 AM
I can't find an atmosphere material.

# 33 25-02-2007 , 05:20 AM

Originally posted by MrTerminator
I can't find an atmosphere material.

For the atmosphere, did you create a polygon sphere, scale it and applied a lambert material and set the transparency?

The lambert material should have the "glow" parameter in the attributes editor.

# 34 25-02-2007 , 05:42 AM
That's what I did all the time. But it doesn't work. The atmosphere looks really bad.

# 35 25-02-2007 , 06:37 AM
What rendering engine are you using?

# 36 26-02-2007 , 03:11 AM
mentla ray. But the image above is rendered with maya software.

# 37 28-02-2007 , 10:16 AM
Subscriber
wow nice mr t! looks amazing, i feel like doing this but first i gotta complete all my other projects first :p

im not sure but the clouds look abit "fake" or somethings wrong with them user added image still looks good though, keep it up user added image

# 38 14-03-2007 , 10:01 PM
Subscriber
Hello there people nice, work, I was wondering if there is a way to do this, so that its on a much smaller sphere and wont make my pc freeze, with a radius of 8 , subdivision axis of 24 and subdivision height of 24.

# 39 25-03-2007 , 08:17 PM
Hi all! I haven't done anything to this project...About the stars...the light coming from the sun is reflected by the earth surface and athmosphere .The light comming from the stars has a low intensity compared to sun light intensity so they aren't visible. When you go a little far from earth this light from those stars becomes visible...That's why on nasa's earth closeups pictures we don't see any star.About the athmosphere: I have done one more sphere next to surface and cloud spheres, and scale it properly,(i can't remember now the numbers) and i have map it with a transparency map.I have used a ramp in conjunction with sampler info and what i finished up doing is to connect facing ratio of the sampler to vCoord of the ramp.By doing that my sphere will be completely transparent in the center area and has a little opacity to the edges, that can be controled by the ramp.Objects have glow arround them and some glow in the center will make the athmosphere look unnatural.To that sphere i had added some glow with the attribute --hide source checked.You shoud turn auto exposure off...I have render the clouds and the atmosphere separately and then composed them back in Shake to gain a little bit of control.The peroject is far from end, so i will continue as soon as i can.Somebody asked me to write a tutorial about this"
( but i have deleted that message and i don't know who he was..) and i intend to keep my word (right now i am very busy because an aproacind deadline on my work)...Cheers to all of you! user added image

# 40 25-11-2007 , 06:30 PM
Subscriber
NICE! I did the same thing but yours is more detailed. I was just practicing planner, spherical and cyndrical mapping. I want to do that kind of work but first i got to practice, practice, practice.

danm, every time i come to this site i get hungry to learn this.