Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 18-07-2004 , 01:22 PM

rendering images for print / shadow on white surface

im wondering how can i render an image in maya with a transparent background that will show up in photoshop.

also how can i add a shadow on a white surface without the ground showing.

maya user
# 2 18-07-2004 , 07:49 PM
for the transparency, open your Render Globals, and make sure the image output is one that supports alpha channels (like TGA, since Photoshop can read it), and make sure the "Alpha Channel (mask)" checkbox is checked.
now when you render, all your geometry will be visible, but the background will be transparent when you show the alpha channel.

to get a shadow on a white surface i'd just make a plane and give it a white lambert shader, and then play with the attributes of the shader until it turns out how you want.

Car-maker.
Check out my releases for RACER.
see the WWW button
# 3 19-07-2004 , 08:32 AM
to get the shadow layer:

Turn on the render layers in your render globals. Make a new render layer and make sure that your ground plane is in it. Now turn off all of the other options in render globals apart from shadow. You will now just have the shadow pass of that layer.

Alan

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 4 19-07-2004 , 07:01 PM
Yeah, but Maya's shadow layers are very buggy. I've found them to often be inaccurate and have artifacts in them so check your renders carefully when they're done. I know of no work around for this other than the aforementioned white lambert trick.