Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 17-07-2005 , 11:23 PM

Kanchi: WIP

This is a character from the anime FLCL. It is my first attempt at learning maya. I have done plenty of tutorials but this is my first unscripted project. I plan to texture, bind, and eventually pose and animate this character. Since I am new to all of this, this particular model has taken a lot of time, but it was a good learning process. Please feel free to critique my model and give any suggestions as to how to make it better. thx, in advance...

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 17-07-2005 , 11:26 PM
Here is one more view to show a little more detail... I will post the wireframe soon.

Attached Thumbnails
# 3 18-07-2005 , 11:23 PM
Alright, I've went back and resized some pieces and added a little more detail. the rest of the detail i will be adding with textures and bump maps... My next step will be texturing followed by rigging... Here's the updated wireframe...

Attached Thumbnails
# 4 18-07-2005 , 11:26 PM
Oh, and by the way, I'm sure that most of you have never seen this anime so here's a pic of what Kanchi "sometimes spelled, Canti" looks like. This is a cel from the anime FLCL...

Attached Images
# 5 18-07-2005 , 11:28 PM
Subscriber
very nice character. i like him.
but i think u should redesign the legs.

even tho u are folowing specific refs. these legs seem stiff, and not dynamic, more like that honda robot, thats how it looks like.

my opinionuser added image

# 6 18-07-2005 , 11:46 PM
-vladimirjp
Thx, for the source pics... I'm kinda tired of modelling at the moment so I think I'm going to start texturing his upper body... But, I will definately go back and take a look at his legs soon. Thx, for the crits...

Here is one more quick source pic from the show... When Kanchi first shows himself in the show he is red and when he gets mad this symbol flashes on his screen... I will be texturing the blue Kanchi but i will probably use this symbol for his face...

Attached Thumbnails
# 7 19-07-2005 , 01:00 AM
Here's my 1st attempt at uv-mapping on my own... this is gonna take quite a while. I have not developed a good quick workflow yet but I'm working on it... I am going to have to go back and remap and retexture the arm because i did not think far enough ahead to have a good map in the other places that i need to put details... oh well, it's a learning experience. I usually do things wrong ten times until I finally have a good feel for it and do it right.. Well here's a small update for now...

Attached Thumbnails
# 8 20-07-2005 , 03:01 PM
Looks nice and smooth. I like the colors so far.

# 9 21-07-2005 , 04:32 PM
Okay, I have scoured the internet looking for all of the techniques that I could find for UV layout and texture mapping. I think after a couple days of practice i have a decent grasp on the subject... Here is Kanchi with his base colors. I have about half of the uv's layed out. I will post my textures as soon as I complete them...

Attached Thumbnails
# 10 22-07-2005 , 12:31 AM
Lord Canti rocks, But you gotta animate him transforming into the cannon thingie!

# 11 22-07-2005 , 05:39 AM
-twisteddragon33
Hehe, yeah I love that scene as well, unfourtunately my skill in maya is very limited... I would love to learn to animate, though I believe I have quite a long way to go.

- I am lucky that this model came out as well as it did... Hopefully I'll be able to get the textures on him soon before I go completely insane trying to get my uv's laid out in a nice manner.