Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 08-01-2007 , 09:31 AM

Subdiv problem.

Hi there. I have encountered a problem while modeling for sub D's. at a sertain pont when i merge serveral vertexes maya wont convert my model to sub'd. I cant vind anything about it in the help files.
So is this my fault or maya's?

# 2 08-01-2007 , 09:47 AM
Subscriber
Hard to say, but if you could convert it to subds before you merged the verts, you may find that Deleting the History will help.

Failing that, open the script editor, and look for the error message that pops up after you attempt to convert. I commonly get stopped by nonmanifold faces or because I use a shelf button to do the conversion, and the number of faces specified in the shelf command are not enough for the model I'm working on.
S.

# 3 08-01-2007 , 01:40 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
First run the clean up command while still in poly mode, then merge the verts again, delete history, then convert. Also check the base mesh faces setting in the convert menu, if this number is lower than your poly count it wont convert, so just up the value.

Cheers
Jay

# 4 09-01-2007 , 03:58 PM
Thanks Jay, The cleanup did it. Just had to clean up nonmanifold edges. Dont know what they are tho user added image.