Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 02-02-2012 , 10:30 AM
Lifetime Member

Fillet command

It didnt occur to me until just then...and Im probably wasting my time.....is there a 'fillet' command anywhere in Maya. Extruding edges CLOSE enough to merge or even trying to snap them is a right royal pain!!! A fillet command would be so bloody useful!

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 2 02-02-2012 , 10:41 AM
Lifetime Member
There is the bridge tool or fill hole tool and even the append to polygon.

2 x Modeling Challenge Winner
# 3 02-02-2012 , 11:03 AM
Try bevel command?

# 4 02-02-2012 , 11:39 AM
Lifetime Member
I didnt explain properly (I know all those commands)...sorry guys Im used to AutoCAD speak...basically jsprogg, I have 2 planar surfaces 90° to each other for simplicities sake. They are lets say a metre apart...I want to intersect these 2 planes to create a corner (like a wall) in one hit. In my Survey and Acad programs I can do this with lines..not sure about faces...so instead of pissfarting around and trying to snap verts, this command does it using the vectors on either the edges picked or faces. Like an auto extrude command where the walls will meet WITHOUT losing integrity of the geo...ie no bends where they shouldnt be. I will post an image if that wasnt up to scratch?

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 5 02-02-2012 , 06:53 PM
Lifetime Member
Ah i get ya well as far as i know there is no tool to do that so it's ctrl + v and snap i am afraid...lol

2 x Modeling Challenge Winner
# 6 02-02-2012 , 09:02 PM
Lifetime Member
LOL thought that might be the case...cheers mate

bullet1968

# 7 02-02-2012 , 10:07 PM
The thin red line
The bridge tool might work if you know the angle you need say if the angle is 45 put that in the smoothing and divition to 1, I have not tryed this.............dave

Edit:Just tested that it did not work

Last edited by daverave; 02-02-2012 at 10:13 PM.
# 8 02-02-2012 , 11:08 PM
There is no polygon fillet command Bullet. The closest thing would be fiddling with the bridge tool as suggested above.

There is autocad type fillet and round commands in the NURB's tools though. Not sure of any workflow that would make them useful though. You'd have to model in nurbs and then convert or make live and retopo. Both approaches are tedious.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675
# 9 03-02-2012 , 12:27 AM
Lifetime Member
Thanks adve and Rick...yeh figured it might be the case. Sorry...my Surveyors brain gets all pissed off when you have to 'guess' and intersection....I know Maya isnt such a program...but we hold out for it LOL. It just makes bloody sense!!! and I dont know why it doesnt have it....it really would be the most useful of tools...sigh...oh well jsprogg LOL snapping verts it is. I just HATE losing vector integrity..you spend SO much bloody time realigning verts...well I do..especially for buildings and things...pain in the coight.

cheers bullet

bullet1968