Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 08-08-2008 , 11:41 AM

Need help from a Maya modeler!

Hi all,

I'm new here so I'll first introduce myself. I'm Dancing Lobster (real name is Yanto), I'm a 19 year old boy and I live in Belgium (I speak Dutch).
I have one big hobby, gaming. I'm part of a multigaming clan, we play Call of Duty United Offensice, Call of Duty 2 and Call of Duty 4. As soon as Call of Duty: World at War is released we will also play that part of the CoD series.
I'm also interested in Mapping en Modding for the CoD series, and I'm currently working on a mod for CoD4. For those who don't know what a mod is, please read this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mod_%28computer_gaming%29

Now, my actual question: For this mod I need at least one custom weapon model for now, and maybe more later. These models should be made using Maya autodesk 2008, but I don't wanna learn it myself as it takes too long and I can't find good (free) tutorials user added image
That's why I need the help from a Maya modeler to make the custom weapon models for me user added image
I don't wanna tell what kind of weapon models I need yet, I want to announce this mod as soon as I can import one weapon model ingame.
You don't need the game itself, all you have to do is making the model and sending me the files.
If you want to help me with this, please post it in this topic, send me a PM, send an email (yanto_maes[at]hotmail[dot]com) or add my xfire: yanto148

Also, if you do this your name will be mentioned in the readme file, and I wanna add a servermessage that says "Mod made by Dancing Lobster and ...", so you'll get enough credit for it user added image

Thanks and best regards, Dancing Lobster

Proud member of the C4F Multigaming clan
# 2 08-08-2008 , 11:46 AM
Basically you want somthing for nothing?

Try telling people what the mod is, then maybe they will be interested enough to join in for the fun of it, that is usually the way with these things.

Oh and a name in a readme for a small mod is not 'payment' user added image.

Gl, Hf

# 3 08-08-2008 , 12:25 PM

Originally posted by LauriePriest
Basically you want somthing for nothing?

Try telling people what the mod is, then maybe they will be interested enough to join in for the fun of it, that is usually the way with these things.

Oh and a name in a readme for a small mod is not 'payment' user added image.

Gl, Hf

I don't wanna tell what the mod is yet because it's suposed to be a secret yet user added image.
PM me if you're inetrested and I'll tell you wath kind of mod it's gonna be.

About the payment thing: I know, but I create mods and maps for free (as everyone does for the CoD series), I don't have a lot of money myself. I'm looking for someone that wants to do this for free, who considers modeling as a hobby, not as a job user added image. I also consider modding as a hobby and I would never ask payment for it. Also, I wanna release the script files from the mod so other modders can learn from it and use them. All they have to do is ask my permission, and they may use my scripts for free.
We pay enough money for all kinds of things, let's keep modding and mapping free user added image
Well this is how it goes in the mapping and modding community, it might be different in the 3D modeling community...
I hope you can understand what I mean user added image

# 4 08-08-2008 , 12:29 PM
I understand but you really cant expect people to take interest with zero information

# 5 08-08-2008 , 01:42 PM

Originally posted by LauriePriest
I understand but you really cant expect people to take interest with zero information

Ok I'll give a bit more information: it's gonna be a weapon mod that is based on a weapon sport. The mod wil be one shot one kill or 3 shots one kill (depending on the server settings) and will include an anticamp function and serverside messages user added image
And that's all I wanna tell you :p

# 6 08-08-2008 , 02:58 PM
Subscriber
you mmight be better off going to turbo squid....even tho you have to pay, you might find somthing for cheap....maybe even in their free section.....i mean we doing the modeling yet it says "modeled by 'you' and 'then the modelers name'......well thas a problem right there....if I did the modeling, it should be my credit ONLY not yours and mines......like for instance my skyline..in my portfolio, it says modeled by me, rendered by younglion (im using his real name) but you get the jist.....id never said rendered my eric and younglion because I didn't even touch the redering so by you doing that, you're taking away half the modelers credit........and worse, you want to share it.....there are a lot of ppl who take models and sel it as theirs.....without payment etc.......you could easily use it for your portfolio.....or even someone else who you're sharing it andtheres no proof it was even created by the modeler in the first place.........dont mean to sound igorant but there's a lot wrong with this and imo, you're best bet would be to use turbosquid

Toyota Supra WIP

I create feeling in others that they themseleves don’t understand.
# 7 08-08-2008 , 05:42 PM
I searched Turbosquid but I couldn't find anything (they're all .max files, I need Maya files user added image )

And I would add in the readme file:
Mod made by:
Dancing Lobster: Scripting
.... : Made the custom weapon models.

Also, when I post it on several forums I will also mention the modelers name, so it's very clear that did not make the weapon models user added image

# 8 08-08-2008 , 07:14 PM
no cash no mesh :p

# 9 08-08-2008 , 07:53 PM

Originally posted by ColdWave
no cash no mesh :p

i have that printed on my boxer shorts.

# 10 09-08-2008 , 07:35 AM
I have it branded on my cat.

# 11 10-08-2008 , 06:56 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by Dancing Lobster
I searched Turbosquid but I couldn't find anything (they're all .max files, I need Maya files user added image )

And I would add in the readme file:
Mod made by:
Dancing Lobster: Scripting
.... : Made the custom weapon models.

Also, when I post it on several forums I will also mention the modelers name, so it's very clear that did not make the weapon models user added image

there is a thing from softimage called crosswalk. what it does is it converts maya files into xsi files and vice versa, also converts between max and xsi
crosswalk can work stand alone, or you could just download mod tools for free to convert stuff like that

you get where i'm going with this?

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 12 11-08-2008 , 07:59 AM

Originally posted by Chirone
there is a thing from softimage called crosswalk. what it does is it converts maya files into xsi files and vice versa, also converts between max and xsi
crosswalk can work stand alone, or you could just download mod tools for free to convert stuff like that

you get where i'm going with this?

Thanks a lot, I'll try it out as soon as possible user added image

# 13 12-08-2008 , 07:53 AM
Hmm when I try to import the files in Maya with the stand alone setup from crosswalk, I can't choose "Softimage_Crosswalk_Importer" as file type :headbang: user added image

# 14 12-08-2008 , 01:21 PM
Subscriber
did you activate it in the plug ins?

window > settings/preferences > plugin manager

wierd... when i did this ust now all my plug ins were unticked and unloaded....

generally, if you have a plug in for maya and it doesn't show up then you just have to use that

i think you can only play with the plug in manager if you aren't using the Maya PLE version

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 15 13-08-2008 , 03:52 AM

Originally posted by Chirone
did you activate it in the plug ins?

window > settings/preferences > plugin manager

wierd... when i did this ust now all my plug ins were unticked and unloaded....

generally, if you have a plug in for maya and it doesn't show up then you just have to use that

i think you can only play with the plug in manager if you aren't using the Maya PLE version

No I didn't... thanks again mate user added image :attn: