Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 14-09-2009 , 04:18 AM
Subscriber

developing my artstyle

I was looking at video/images of Crackdown 2 and as I looked through it I realized that I want to ultimately work my way to creating a visual style similar to how Crackdown 2 looks like in its trailer.

I question to the community is what should I work on to develope this style. It's highly detailed, but not photoreal, and yet seems like its nearly cell shaded.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Here's a link so everyone can see what I mean.
https://media.xbox360.ign.com/media/1...63/imgs_1.html

~To create a new world through the imagination
# 2 14-09-2009 , 08:46 AM
Subscriber
i'm probably totally wrong (and feel free to hammer down on me), but i thought all non-raytraced renders look like that...

that and i think it's also down to the rendering engine these dudes used

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D

Last edited by Chirone; 14-09-2009 at 08:48 AM.
# 3 17-09-2009 , 03:17 AM
Technical Director
If these are in game renders, than there is no raytracing. Raytracing is a very computationally expensive technique, so it wouldn't make sense to use it on a realtime system. To me, it looks like they have somewhat clean and stylized textures on the characters faces. Probably done by some hand painting in photoshop, but based on photo textures.

I don't see what you mean by cell shaded. What I think it is, is very harsh contrasts between warm and cool lights. This gives the shot a dramatic
look to it.

Hope this helps, and good luck figuring out your own style!

Imagination is more important than knowledge.