Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 31 09-04-2011 , 05:50 AM
Technical Director

hhahaha yeah its full of people who know everything LOL

Isn't that the internet in general? user added image

Looks great Jay. Hope all is well with you and the fam user added image

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 32 09-04-2011 , 03:47 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
hey John

well yeah, but cgs more than most LOL

cheers glad you like, yes thanks matey we are all okay, hope you are too

cheers
Jay

# 33 09-04-2011 , 04:17 PM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon
Hi Jay

Looks like a great start and I know from experience that it is hard to get an accurate model from sourceimages with different angles/expressions and camerafocallengths.
If I may make a suggestion, I would really rough it in in Maya so that it more or less lines up with the image planes and then take it to Zbrush and move and shape different facial parts ( like mouth eyelids, ears etc) according to a particular photo which shows a particular facial part at its best.
This way you get to results much quicker ( at least I do) than fiddling in Maya rearranging edgeloops and what not.

# 34 09-04-2011 , 04:50 PM
Hey Mastone.

Thanks man and also for the suggestion, but no Im not doing it that way. Its just not accurate enough, speed isnt of the essence here for me. Having built digital doubles for film I've found theres no better way unless you also have the aid of a scan (which I used too) but the problems that can arise with scans are bloated meshes that again can cause inacurracies, but are great for blocking.

Unless Zbrush can import my maya cameras, images and curve positions which are such a great way of doing line ups for planes etc within GoZ and allow me to switch between them, then its definately a no no.

Relooping stuff for me is fine. If it needs new loops or old ones taken out for better form I can't do it in Zbrush either, so by getting it as near as damn it in maya from lo to medium res is going to be far easier with the soft mod tool for me

- at the end of the day theres no easy line of resistance if you are wanting to do a digtal double.

Jay

# 35 10-04-2011 , 08:57 PM
Update

Jay

Attached Thumbnails
# 36 10-04-2011 , 09:01 PM
Subscriber
I know your going to prove me wrong somehow but she looked more like her in your first screen shots and that image is playing tricks with my eyes - but I know u know what your doing - I`m just saying it hard to see right now

# 37 11-04-2011 , 03:50 AM
Looking pretty good Jay. I was looking back in this thread from the start, looking at the changes and it's comming along quite nicely I think. Unless it's the screenshot angles, the area around the eyes especially to the outside of the eyes and at the top of the cheekbone look much better. I don't know how it is for you but when I get to the last bit of making those final subtle changes, it's crazy..I'm never satisfied. Even if I got it absolutely perfect, I'd still want to make more minor adjustments haha. Anway, from what you've done so far, I think it's looking great.

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 38 11-04-2011 , 08:57 AM
Hey Guys

thanks for the comments.

Tweety: LOL ahh no worries mate there, it does it to me while Im doing it, but Im sure it will come together soon enough.

Perfecto: yeah its generally the last 10% percent that is the make or break on this type of work

will try and post later

Jay

# 39 11-04-2011 , 11:58 AM
The thin red line
I think I would be happy with just 10% off mine are still a long way out, looking good.........dave

Last edited by daverave; 11-04-2011 at 06:12 PM.
# 40 13-04-2011 , 11:11 PM
Cheers Dave

have an update. Added the ear, very rough right now for shaping up but all the geo is there for it, needs to be made bigger etc. Also neck to jaw geo has change a little too

cheers
Jay

Attached Thumbnails
# 41 14-04-2011 , 02:22 AM
Looking great Jay, do you take your meshes into zbrush when you are happy with the general shape and base mesh to make all the refinements or do you have a different method.

Keep up the great work and look forward to seeing your progress

# 42 14-04-2011 , 06:14 AM
Leonlabyk

cheers dude, its been a while, hope all is well.

Yes, as a rule definately. I'm one of the ones who gets it as best possible in Maya then basically uses Zbrush as a compliment to help do the rest, but even after that I will throw it back at maya for tweaks then back to zb and so on

cheers, will update again later hopefully

Jay

# 43 16-04-2011 , 12:08 AM
Update, added more cameras and am now beginning to refine the shapes and finer forms, still in maya at the moment

cheers

Jay

Attached Thumbnails
# 44 16-04-2011 , 09:06 AM
The thin red line
I must say Im starting to see a likeness already, may be I will try using curves in my next model...............dave

Last edited by daverave; 16-04-2011 at 09:10 AM.
# 45 16-04-2011 , 11:24 AM
Thanks Dave.

yeah give it a go, it takes a bit of time to set up but it makes for a more accurate placement of cameras and mesh. Im now at the point where Im gonna add more loops and then will subdivide a dupe copy and use the base as a wrap deformer to start pulling and tweaking again at higher res.

hopefully update later, am at work today....

cheers
Jay