Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 31 11-07-2004 , 11:31 AM
wow yeah i need kind of these detail! i will tweak the wing and add these spikes! pics will follow today!! someone know what other detail could i attach to the dragon?it still look so neckid with that spikes....but better than before...thx cgp !!

# 32 11-07-2004 , 12:46 PM
here i repaired the wings and added the spikes of the neck...spikes of the back and tail will follow...but my wings look so weird where the skin ends ....donno why user added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 33 11-07-2004 , 04:39 PM

Originally posted by CGPMaya84
Dragonhawk said himself it was caused by a type of dinosaur bone.

damned straight it was user added image

ahahaha

# 34 11-07-2004 , 08:11 PM

Originally posted by Dragonhawk
wow yeah i need kind of these detail! i will tweak the wing and add these spikes! pics will follow today!! someone know what other detail could i attach to the dragon?it still look so neckid with that spikes....but better than before...thx cgp !!

You're welcome Dragonhawk, I am glad that I could be of some help for you! user added image I am also glad to hear that you took my idea for the spikes! It really looks awesome on your dragon so far! user added image Also, as far as the webbing for the wings goes, maybe try extending the webbing towards where it nears the dragon's body and have the webbing attach to the body itself, if you know what I mean. Let me know if you want me to paint in what I am talking about. Keep up the great work on that dragon so far though! If I can think of anything else for you to improve it, I will let you know! user added image

Originally posted by Zyk0tiK
damned straight it was user added image

ahahaha

What is that supposed to mean?? Lol! :p

~CGPMaya84 (also DragonTU84 from SimplyPhotoshop and CPAnimate84 from SimplyMax)

Last edited by CGPMaya84; 11-07-2004 at 08:13 PM.
# 35 12-07-2004 , 01:14 PM
ehh....well....i would be happy if you paint it user added image-.....cause at the moment i have no clue about what you mean....lol....and plz no conversation about the already deleted bone between the legs okay?just stop talking about that crap....

# 36 12-07-2004 , 01:47 PM
Subscriber
Make the skin of the wings grow onto the body and not just the wings...

Liter is French for 'Gimme some ****ing cola before I break vous ****ing lips!"
# 37 12-07-2004 , 07:10 PM

Originally posted by Dragonhawk
ehh....well....i would be happy if you paint it user added image-.....cause at the moment i have no clue about what you mean....lol....and plz no conversation about the already deleted bone between the legs okay?just stop talking about that crap....

Ok Dragonhawk, here is the pic of the extending of the dragon's wings to the body I was talking about. I hope this clarifies what I am trying to say. user added image Keep up the good work on the dragon, by the way! user added image

Attached Thumbnails

~CGPMaya84 (also DragonTU84 from SimplyPhotoshop and CPAnimate84 from SimplyMax)
# 38 12-07-2004 , 07:42 PM
well here i attached the wings a bit more to the body but bnow they cant be so close as on the pic caused by the spikes going along the body...what else could i add for detail? and cgp: do u have icq msn or so? let me now ur ID there....

# 39 12-07-2004 , 07:44 PM
here:

Attached Thumbnails
# 40 12-07-2004 , 10:29 PM
Subscriber
Still looks a bit off to me, I'd say loose a couple of the spikes and attach the skin between the wing bones (?) to the body as CGPMaya84 said...

Also, I think you might have overkilled the spikes a bit... I think you should try to make them a bit more "random", maybe by removing some of them and adding them with som different intervals (different and more random spacing between them, if you know what I mean)

Liter is French for 'Gimme some ****ing cola before I break vous ****ing lips!"
# 41 13-07-2004 , 12:13 AM
I have to agree with blomkaal, Dragonhawk. The spikes definately make it look much better, but maybe try making them more random in their arrangement and even maybe try slightly alternating the sizes of the spikes. Also, blomkaal had a good idea to fix the "connecting the webbing to the body" issue by removing some of the spines near where you want the wings to attach and then attaching the webbing to the body. Keep up the good work, BTW! user added image Also, sorry Dragonhawk, but I do not have ICP nor MSN. I used to have MSN, but I forgot my password ages ago... :bored:

Last edited by CGPMaya84; 13-07-2004 at 12:15 AM.
# 42 13-07-2004 , 08:25 PM
The body's nice. The spikes seem a little flat, though. Take a look at kentrosaurus for ideas: https://palaeo.gly.bris.ac.uk/dinobas...ntrosaurus.gif

The wings need a lot of research, though. You have to remember that wings are specialized arms. They have shoulders, elbows, wrists and fingers. The long bones that support the wings are actually fingers, which means they all radiate from the end of the arm. Also, the membrane of the wing surface connects a long way back on the body, in bats, flying dinosaurs, and even birds. https://members.aol.com/caveconser/batw.gif

# 43 13-07-2004 , 09:20 PM
i attached the wings to the body...less time this week but i will do it...a bit further.....

Attached Images
# 44 16-07-2004 , 08:32 PM
It does look better now that the webbing is more attached to the body. However, I still think the spines should be more "random" in size and stuff though and maybe rounding them slightly more. Also, maybe have some more joints in the wings themselves...making them able to "bend" more.

# 45 19-07-2004 , 05:28 PM
hi guys!!!I'm asking the modeling and animating maya users under you....is this wing modeled correctly for animating?i will smooth it before animating and after rigging and want to asjk if the smoothed wing would be animatable....plz tips a tricks...

Attached Thumbnails