Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 15-10-2004 , 03:44 PM

Video Card, or more memory?

Hi all - Been lurking for a while, just decided to truly start trying to learn Maya. I have always had a passion for art, unfortunately I can not draw at all user added image -- I currently am using a DELL 1.7MHz computer. I have Maya loaded up on it, and it "Lags" quite a bit. I figure my bottlenecks were my memory (Currently 512megs) and video card (128MB nViidia card for gaming)

I am looking to upgrade to 1gig memory, but drawing a blank on which type of video card to look for.. Anyone able to give me advice on a card that will handle maya well for under $600?

Thanks again!

Steven

# 2 15-10-2004 , 06:00 PM
Subscriber
how does your maya "lag"
is it the viewports, the displays are bad?
or it lags when it loads and when u use maya's tools.
if its the latter, then i suggest getting more ram.
but 512mb is adequate to run maya. i have known ppl to run maya on 64mb of ram. i am running it on 1.5 gig of ram, pc133, they are very slow ram, so its about 512 mb considering the standard ram today, and i get no lags at all. [unless i do something stupid]

# 3 28-10-2004 , 10:17 AM
My PC is a sleeper really the only thing that takes time on it is Cloth and hair. Well My advise on the vedio card is this: Use for Modeling, games, and DvDs I would got ATI Radeon 9600+. For raw power and just modeling the new Nnida cards, or no lower then a TI 4600(what I use only mine is from MSI and I have oCed it.) Get that and you will be fine I have a Intel Celron 900 OCed at 1.2gigs and only 524MB ram.

# 4 30-10-2004 , 01:41 PM
Look I think you should get more ram cos its big pleasure to work with 1 g of ram than with 512, I now have 1 gb of ram and NVIDIA 3 titanium 200 and its really nice, I first have 256 of ram, upgrade to 512, than comes 1gb of ram an after ram upgrade a have changed my ati 9200 with 64 of ram for this GF 3 ti 200, i got question its a bit hot card, any suggestion how to cool it a bit??

Best resolt would come, if every one in the group are doing what is best for himself and the group!!

Sorry for bad English, See ya
dead mosquito-blog-on english too

Last edited by Ankalagon; 30-10-2004 at 01:44 PM.