Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 15-08-2004 , 11:38 PM
Subscriber

Is tea in the computer bad ?

LOL, just jokeing. My main computer is no longer amonge the computing so I need a new MB and CPU. My question really is about the RAM I know Maya is a ram hog, and the speed of the ram makes a big difrence also. So I'm wandering about what is a good speed for the front side bus ( does that have to do with ram speed ?) and is there much difrence between RD and DDR ram ?

I'm looking for a good price to performance ratio.

just any advice would be a help for me to get started on looking around.

# 2 04-09-2004 , 08:29 PM
I don't really know, but I can answer you topic question.
'Yes'.

# 3 05-09-2004 , 01:42 AM
Subscriber
Look for a FSB of 800 Mhz. This is the current max as far as I know for PCs. The best would be a board that allow dual Opteron, just get one now (the cheapest) and after xmast, get rid of the CPU and replace it with 2 dual core Opteron. This will give you the equivalent of 4 CPU in a single machine!

This is the most #future proof# solution I can give you.

# 4 05-09-2004 , 03:46 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by Mantat
The best would be a board that allow dual Opteron, just get one now (the cheapest) and after xmast, get rid of the CPU and replace it with 2 dual core Opteron. This will give you the equivalent of 4 CPU in a single machine!

This is the most #future proof# solution I can give you.

I'm not really sure you can do that... as far as I know.. you need 2 CPUs on a dual mobo or it wont work.. (for Opterons at least)

but try it.. it might work...

I'm thinking of getting rid of this dual opteron PC and upgrading it but now that I wanna buy a car, I guess it'll be ok user added image

-Emo

# 5 05-09-2004 , 06:08 AM
Subscriber
not really good witht the smp thing but can't that be done with Xenon's already ? bean like that for a bit. Could be very well wrong though.

oh yeah. what would be real helpfull is if more than just rendering beinfiten from more than one cpu..

Last edited by Pony; 05-09-2004 at 06:11 AM.
# 6 05-09-2004 , 06:42 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by Pony
oh yeah. what would be real helpfull is if more than just rendering beinfiten from more than one cpu..

well ... if youre asking a question there... I guess a good thing about a dual setup is that you can run maya while have Photoshop open and not see any lag at all...

or you can render stuff on one CPU and use the PC for web and other stuff while waiting on the other CPU...

-Emo

# 7 05-09-2004 , 04:41 PM
Subscriber
Im pretty sure all the dualies can run with just a single processor installed. I'm running dual mp 2800's and i have no intention of upgrading for a while. Duals are definately the way to go and if you can afford it opterons are probably best i think.

My machine totally kicked the butt of an Athlon 64 3200 with loads of memory and scsi raid so even the dual AMD's, especially with thier cheaper costs right now are a great upgrade for anyone using 3d software.

As for memory, well that really depends on the board you're looking to purchase.

# 8 06-09-2004 , 09:06 PM
Subscriber
You can run a dual mobo with just a single proc.

The AMD MP are the best performance/$ right now, BUT the opteron boards will allow the use of the dual core proc in early 2005. This is why I said that getting a single opteron right now and upgrading better is the best investment in the long run.

There is supposed to be a way to mod a athlon xp into a mp but I dont know how.