Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 01-11-2004 , 08:07 PM

What's NORMAL MAPPING??

i think i have an idea of what it is and what it's purpose of it.

making low poly models look as if they were high res?

if so, what does the actually map look like? is it a grey scale?

thanx,

i bent my wookie!
# 2 01-11-2004 , 08:26 PM
I might be wrong but I have a strong feeling that normal mapping isn't much different from displacement mapping. The only difference is that displacement mapping uses grey scale images where normal mapping uses rgb images. R represents X displacement, G represents Y displacement and B represents Z displacement...

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

Do a lot, Fail a lot and Learn a lot!
# 3 01-11-2004 , 09:02 PM
The Maya Mountain
yeah, that's essentially right. They're usually generated by building an actual highres object and a lowres object and baking down the surface normal information from the highres into an image, using the lowpoly's UV coordinates.

Here's an example:

user added image

# 4 01-11-2004 , 11:27 PM
very interesting

was just wondering cause i've been looking into this new game engine...called the reality engine and it supports normal mapping.

https://www.artificialengine.com/

checkout some of the demos, very nice lighting.

i bent my wookie!