Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 25-11-2005 , 10:14 AM

Play

Hey guys!

Well, when surfing this forums its not hard to realise that there is not much of animation it self as an Art so I would love to see what clips and tricks do you guys hide on your hard drives!

We can disscuss, study a motion together, give a tips n tricks,
show our animations, learn tools, get some feedback, maybe create a short...

Come on animators, what do you think?
Lets set a couple of keys 2gether... ::attn:
user added image

Last edited by darijo203; 27-11-2005 at 04:33 PM.
# 2 27-11-2005 , 01:23 PM
...okay...

here's my first charcater animation and rig test that I've done...simple guy but stupid.
Simple meaning that he's made out of a couple of polys and stupid because...well download it and find out!

I hope you'll like it.
Any critics and suggestios are wellcome, but be gentle (sucks=not bad...) :p

Attached Files
File Type: zip chrtestanm.zip (244.1 KB, 210 views)

# 3 27-11-2005 , 10:55 PM
Technical Director
Its good so far mate. But when he lands on the second block, his center of gravity is behind his feet, making him seem off balance, and it looks like he's going to fall between the second and first blocks. Instead, move his center of gravity forward so he dosnt look like he is going to fall over, yet anticipating the next fall. Also, add some anticipation on the jump. If you look at someone, they always sit back before they sit forward, and then up.

Just get up and jump around a bit, see how you react and where everything goes.

Take care mate

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 4 28-11-2005 , 07:38 AM
nice. its quite funny...
ok, you do need to fine tune it a bit. thogh, don't know what.... i can't animate..
but, if you take a movie of yourself jumping around, would love to see that as well... :p

Last edited by utpal; 28-11-2005 at 07:58 AM.
# 5 28-11-2005 , 09:11 AM
Thanks guys.

Uptal...maybe I'll send the clip of my self jumping aroud-anything for an animation study!

NextDesign, yeah I tough that he's legs move faster since when he's airborne he is placing them from back position behind he's torso to the front position and the spine tries to keep up...but maybe you're right I'll try your version.

# 6 28-11-2005 , 09:55 AM
Subscriber
I agree with NextDesign. Its close but not there yet.

Mind you having said that my first attempt at animation a few days ago was very bad . . I still have a lot to learn. Over the coming months I'm going to focus my efforts on animation.

In any case it looks like you're off to a great start! Well Done.

Cheers
Paul

# 7 28-11-2005 , 12:27 PM
Thanks alot BMS!

I have some small background in animation from the time when I was workin in 3Ds but this is my first attempt to do the whole rig and animation by myself.

But what I would like to do is see yours clips, think about them, study motion, give a sugestions to improve the realisim of motion,arcs,suggest books, DVDs...

So please do send something, if I can help I'll try or someone else will.

We can exchange rigs and animations so I think its a great way to learn from each other.

# 8 28-11-2005 , 01:08 PM
that is indeed a nice idea, darijo. it has been bothering me too, that there has not been too many technical and rigging related questions in this forum...
and even though i can't contribute much in the animation department, would still love to read everyone else's thoughts and ideas..

user added image for your efforts at starting something..

# 9 28-11-2005 , 07:17 PM
Subscriber

# 10 28-11-2005 , 08:09 PM
Technical Director
hmm.... BMS im looking at you clip at the moment, it looks ok, but he does to many moves in a short time. dont be afraid to stretch out your timeline. As with darijo, there is no anticipation for the kick. He also puts his leg up and down way too fast, and the knuckles together thing is also way to fast. I also notice that he slides his foot forward like he's on skates. Also, to make it look like he put some weight on his right foot, put some movement into his hips and spine. Stand up and stand on one leg. you'll see how the spine and hips move to keep your center of balance.

I like the first punch, nice and poppy like toy story.

You'll get it mate. Keep working!

B.T.W. nice render user added image

# 11 28-11-2005 , 09:00 PM
BMS nice work, but like ND said scale up keys a lil bit!

Hips are probably never unmovable, so concetrate on upper part, legs will follow...

Go man, give us more!

Ok here's mine animation scene so if you like, tweak it your way.
Keys are pritty messy since I'm noobie so I didnt concetrate much on them!

Attached Files
File Type: zip jump1.zip (96.7 KB, 200 views)

Last edited by darijo203; 28-11-2005 at 09:03 PM.
# 12 28-11-2005 , 09:19 PM
Technical Director

Originally posted by darijo203
Ok here's mine animation scene so if you like, tweak it your way.
Keys are pritty messy since I'm noobie so I didnt concetrate much on them!

aww come on man. what kind of attitude is that? You may be a noobie, but you dont want to be a lazy noobie now do you?

I'll take a look at it man.

Cheers!

# 13 29-11-2005 , 07:52 AM
You probably got it wrong..I'm not giving up, I will use this rig to learn animation...damn have you see knee controls how they fly around, and skin is set to default. Bad rig!
Never leave your task uncomplete. user added image
I'll develop a simple UI for this polyGuy later...

I gave a rig if any of you guys like to animate and dont have a time messing up with grouping, constraining and parenting...so its totaly free to use if you like->a Christmas gift...aaaa....how nice....I know you would like a new car but...rig is cheaper. Give it to your parentes, brothers and sisters.
Mum, this is from me!
Aaaa...thats very sweet, a digital rig...blahhhhh

Cheers

user added image

Last edited by darijo203; 29-11-2005 at 07:57 AM.
# 14 01-12-2005 , 05:07 PM
:lmao: :lmao:

# 15 01-12-2005 , 09:12 PM
I'm doing some animation right now and what I'm trying to do is use as few keyframes as I can to rough in the motion so that editing and adjusting is simpler than if I had more keyframes. After that I'll begin to detail the animation. I've also found that its a good idea to work on the broad motions first. On one of my last projects I was animating a T-rex and I had problems with the tail... What happened was this; I animated the tail before I began working on the body motion so, when I started keyframing the body to make it sway as it walked, it had a dramatic affect on the tail. If the tail was swinging to the left and I had the body sort of sway or rotate to the left then the tail would seem to be moving in a way that wasn't believable. Kind of like it was a seperate object that just happened to be attached to the rex's butt. I had to re-do a lot of the tail animation... I have so much to learn.. :headbang: