Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 17-03-2006 , 02:27 PM

Sean Connery WIP

Hello this is the first time i have posted a wip here! Im going to be making Sean Connerythe actor, he used to play James Bond. But i shall be making him how he looks now! so quite a few wrinkles!

Heres what i have so far!

Coments and crits are very welcome, and if you have any ideas for my model please feel free to sketch ontop of my pictures!

user added image

user added image

# 2 17-03-2006 , 02:45 PM
The Maya Mountain
Looka like a good start.

# 3 17-03-2006 , 05:25 PM
looks good so far.
Looking forward to seing the final thing.
keep posting the updates.

nice 1
user added image

# 4 17-03-2006 , 05:42 PM
Subscriber
no crits from me...
looking cool!!

A pint of example is worth a gallon of advice!!
# 5 17-03-2006 , 05:43 PM
nice start user added image

It looks to have an excess of lines through the eye corner. They could probably be reduced without losing much detail.

Examples of bTraffic - a traffic animation tool for Maya
bFlocking - a tool for Maya 8.5+ to generate flocking and swarming behaviours
Jan/Feb Challenge 2007 Entry and W.I.P
May/Jun Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Mar/Apr Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Jan/Feb Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Nov/Dec Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Sep/Oct Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Jul/Aug Challenge 2005 Entry
www.flash-fx.net
# 6 17-03-2006 , 11:49 PM
Great idea for a project. Looking forward to seeing how this progresses.

# 7 17-03-2006 , 11:51 PM
Technical Director
I think you are starting with a too dense mesh. Lower the divisons so tweaking will be easier.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 8 18-03-2006 , 06:20 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Yeah definatley drop the res on the mesh or life will become a little uncomfortable if you do something wrong. But overall a good start

Jay

# 9 20-03-2006 , 03:06 PM

update

Hello, so this is the first celebrity i have tried to make! its alot more tricky than i thought! heres my progress so far, still needs alot of tweeking, any suggestions are very welcome! hopefully it will end up looking him!

user added image

user added image

user added image

# 10 20-03-2006 , 03:19 PM
Subscriber
the nose is too wide by looking at your ref, and the eyes need more work.
if you re going fo an acuurate model, maybe grab as much ref as u can.
user added image

# 11 20-03-2006 , 03:46 PM
Subscriber
yeah the model looks nice but the nose is too wide and pointed hes got more of a bulbous nose, also the eyes seem too narrow and mouth too wide also user added image

<a href="https://www.angelfire.com/blog/simon_hitchins/3d_models"> My Website </a>
# 12 20-03-2006 , 07:02 PM
yeah, as the other two have said, the nose is too wide. I am a little confused though - Is that from Madam Tussards? - you are working from a photo of a waxwork model of Sean Connery, right? If so, I would try to get some 'real' photos as otherwise you are just working from another artist's impression and so his mistakes will be magnified. Also it looks like the side profile is squashed which obviously doesn't help either.

Good work so far. This should be an interesting project.

# 13 20-03-2006 , 07:10 PM
hey guys thanks for the coments! yeah i took a couple of photos at madam tussauds just so that i had decent resolution photos of him to work from, but you are right that i need some real photos as well!
Yeah the photos do look a little squashed here, just because i scaled them in slightly to fit both the photo and the render onto a 640x480 picture!
the actual photos arnt squashed!

I shall update this thread again 2moro with hopefully some better renders of his face adjusted around the nose, chin and eyes!

thanks for the coments so far, any crits are very welcome as i want this to really look like him!

cheers!

# 14 21-03-2006 , 03:08 PM
Ok so heres my next update, i have been tweeking his whole face trying to get it to look more like him, i have found that its fairly easy to make a random 3d head, but to make one that looks actually like a person from a photo is quite tricky!

So heres my progress, any coments you have are very valuable to me as from the last post i made i have concentrated on the parts which people here sugested for me to work on!

user added image

user added image

user added image

Thanks guys!

# 15 21-03-2006 , 04:18 PM

hehe

ok so i got a little bored with modeling so i did a very very quick uv map and put the photo onto the model.....hehehe

user added image

this isnt the final texture just did it for fun !