Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 16-03-2008 , 10:50 PM

python call inside mel

How can I pass a Mel string variable into a python call from within a mel script ?

so I want to do something like this ... but this doesn't work:

string $myString;
string $myList = python("myString.split(':')");

Studio where I work cannot move totally to Maya python, but I would like to take advantage of python's string, list, and re methods from within a mel script. I'm wondering if anyone out there has done something similar. I thing I need to precede with another python call to create the python string object named myString .... but still can't get anything to work ...

# 2 17-03-2008 , 10:13 PM
Hi suzanne,

I've played about with this in the past and the following should help you on your way. The thing to remember is to make sure the python() call uses double quotes immediately inside it and then to escape any python special characters or quotes.

e.g,
Code:
python("myVar = \"hello\"");
python("print myVar")
will result in the script editor printing hello
Simon

Examples of bTraffic - a traffic animation tool for Maya
bFlocking - a tool for Maya 8.5+ to generate flocking and swarming behaviours
Jan/Feb Challenge 2007 Entry and W.I.P
May/Jun Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Mar/Apr Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Jan/Feb Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P