Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 106 28-08-2008 , 01:15 PM
For a render like this, not much, but when you want to incorporate global illumination or HDRI you should use Mental ray

Environment Artist @ Plastic Piranha
www.joopson.com
# 107 28-08-2008 , 11:28 PM

When in doubt, delete history and freeze transformations.

My latest snake game
(Requires DirectX9 SDK and Framework)

Last edited by BennyK; 30-08-2008 at 10:05 PM.
# 108 30-08-2008 , 10:10 PM
I did some work on the ground - I decided I need to stop waiting for enlightenment and just do it so I took two more textures and tried different blending modes until I came up with this:
https://img145.imageshack.us/img145/6048/tempcv8.th.jpg

I also got rid of some plants near the thorns.

Since school year starts tomorrow (1st of September) and I'm starting insane training scions this will probably be the final render. Unless someone has some ideas on how to improve it further? So, C&C please,
Benny

My latest snake game
# 109 31-08-2008 , 04:34 AM
19 year Veteran

I'm using Maya software. I tried mentalray but I didn't notice any difference. What is the difference?

Did you use final gather and HDRI when you tried mental ray?

# 110 31-08-2008 , 12:50 PM
THX1138: I wasn't using any of those. I read about it in Maya's help files but I have a couple of questions:
*What kind of image should I use for IBL? Or have I misunderstood something?
*When trying to render my scene with final gather I get the following warnings and the render stops.
Code:
API  0.0  warn   302018: type conflict: "input2" is type vector, "maya_file" returns type color 
API  0.0  warn   302018: type conflict: "specularColor" is type color, "maya_multdiv" returns type vector 
API  0.0  warn   302018: type conflict: "input" is type vector, "maya_file" returns type color 
API  0.0  warn   302018: type conflict: "input2" is type vector, "maya_file" returns type color 
API  0.0  warn   302018: type conflict: "specularColor" is type color, "maya_multdiv" returns type vector 
API  0.0  warn   302018: type conflict: "input" is type vector, "maya_file" returns type color 
API  0.0  warn   302018: type conflict: "input" is type vector, "maya_ramp" returns type color 
When I tried to render a simple scene it worked fine. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
Benny

My latest snake game

Last edited by BennyK; 31-08-2008 at 12:52 PM.
# 111 31-08-2008 , 01:42 PM
When trying to render different layers I encountered a problem only on the ground and vegetation. I got the following warnings in addition to the ones mentioned before:
Code:
RCFG 0.3  warn   542002: angle between normal and geometry normal > 90 degrees X14
This is probably a problem with the straw because it's geometry is ****ed up, But the render was finished nevertheless. When I try to render everything it doesn't even get to this point apparently and the render is stops without further ado user added image .

My latest snake game

Last edited by BennyK; 31-08-2008 at 01:44 PM.
# 112 31-08-2008 , 02:45 PM
19 year Veteran
Could you post a pic of your shading network. I would like to see how your connecting your textures to your material shader. Also, I would like to see how you have your mental ray set up.

# 113 31-08-2008 , 02:57 PM
I don't know much about exporting... Is there a way I can upload the file together with the file textures? (file size is not an issue), so you can simply look at that instead?

I can't turn on Maya right now since my brother is combining some subtitles for a movie and it might take a while...
Benny

My latest snake game
# 114 31-08-2008 , 03:43 PM
19 year Veteran
Just do screen captures of your work area concerning the shader network and mental ray set up. No need to upload the project file because I don't use the same version of Maya your using.

# 115 01-09-2008 , 01:37 PM

My latest snake game
# 116 01-09-2008 , 06:56 PM
19 year Veteran
Your shading network appears to be ok.

For your mental ray, I don't recommend the default settings for final gather. For example, Increase your accuracy to say 200, and your point density to 20, and your point interpolation to 40 or 80 or even to 200 if you like. The method behind this is you want your settings within multiples of 10. The more points final gather has to sample the better the quality, but takes longer to render so experiment. As a rule, you want to keep your final gather setting within the dimensions of the the size of the scene, but I often go larger even though it takes longer to render.

About image base lighting. I highly recommend using it. You can find HDRI images off the net pretty easy. I recommend one with alot of blue since your scene is at night. HDRI will dynamically light your scene and make it more realistic. Also using accurate falloff rates for your main light source will give you good realistic results to.

On your anti-aliasing quality; try a higher setting if you notice any jagged edges on any of your renders.

Multi-pixel filtering; Try some different filters. I use the mitchell filter. Seems to give me better quality and over contrast. Some filters may take longer to render.

also, check your geometry, there mabe be a problem some where that may be causing a problem and keeping you from rendering with final gather.

Finially , turn off your "Enable Default Light" in your render options if you haven't done it allready.

I hope this info isn't too much to take in, as I don't know how much you already know about mental ray.

Hope this helps out.

# 117 01-09-2008 , 08:17 PM
Thanks a lot, THX1138 :bow: , I know just about nothing about mental ray - just what I read in the help files.

I haven't tried it yet since I need to :zzz: now, but I'll try it ASAP(hope it will be soon).

Meanwhile I have a few more things I didn't really understand and I'll appreciate it if someone will help me with those:
*In the help files it says lights in a final gather scene should have illuminate by default off. when it's off though I don't see the light at all... Someone knows what this is about?

*About me being unable to render:

also, check your geometry, there maybe be a problem some where that may be causing a problem and keeping you from rendering with final gather.

I know the geometry causes some warnings but it doesn't seem to stop the render when I render just that problematic part, so I doubt it is it (I'll try it anyway soon though). I've been having problems with other renders(Maya software) where I got a low memory exception thrown an the render stopped at a dance geometry area(I tried to render the section individually). Could there be a similar problem with mental ray?(with the exception of an exception not being thrown)

*This one is just for interest: Isn't a default light created only when there aren't any lights in the scene?

*About the shading networks: I'm kind of an order/efficiency freak... is it possible/advisable to use identical(or are they) 2D texture placements for several texture files (eg. reflection + specular etc)?

Thanks in advance,
Benny

PS. I should have been asleep 1 hour ago... I got carried away writing this user added image

My latest snake game

Last edited by BennyK; 01-09-2008 at 08:19 PM.
# 118 02-09-2008 , 07:47 AM
19 year Veteran

I know the geometry causes some warnings but it doesn't seem to stop the render when I render just that problematic part, so I doubt it is it (I'll try it anyway soon though). I've been having problems with other renders (Maya software) where I got a low memory exception thrown an the render stopped at a dance geometry area(I tried to render the section individually). Could there be a similar problem with mental ray?(with the exception of an exception not being thrown)

Mental ray can render in separate passes ( color, shadow, diffuse, and specular) I personally haven't had any issues rendering in separate passes using mental ray. I cant say that you wont have problems. I can only recommend that you try it out. It's definitely better than rendering out one single beauty pass. Much easier on your processor and ram in my opinion.

*This one is just for interest: Isn't a default light created only when there aren't any lights in the scene?

Yes, so make sure you turn it off when you use mental ray or your lighting for final gather/ Image based lighting will not look good. Also if your going to use Image based lighting you have to use final gather. They were designed to work with each other.

*About the shading networks: I'm kind of an order/efficiency freak... is it possible/advisable to use identical(or are they) 2D texture placements for several texture files (eg. reflection + specular etc)?

Maya is designed to be able to connect many textures into one material shader, or you can connect one texture into many material shaders. All you have to do is access your texture in the hypershade, right click your texture and select what you want to connect to ( color, specular or whatever ) and drag it over to your material shader. You can use the same texture for other objects but make sure the texture you choose wasn't made or painted for something else. For example you don't use a rock texture for a Hat or Gun. Just use common sense here.

Hope this helps out. user added image

# 119 02-09-2008 , 11:22 AM
Thanks, I found out what the problem is... I now noticed that the line next to the script editor's line (the one which offers help for mouse over/the current action of Maya) states before the render is terminated that there's a low memory problem user added image .

I'm trying to learn now how to render in layers... hope I can find time for this.
Thanks again,
Benny

My latest snake game
# 120 02-09-2008 , 06:25 PM

Lighting and HDRI question

I made a render for the fridge alone while I was gone with HDRI but I don't like the result: https://img372.imageshack.us/img372/7079/tempga6.th.png

I only rendered with HDRI. I didn't understand whether I should combine HDRI with normal lighting or not, and if I do, is there a special way I need too set up the lights?

Here're my render settings: https://img179.imageshack.us/my.php?image=tempiu2.jpg
And the IBL settings: https://img142.imageshack.us/my.php?image=temp2sz0.jpg

I might find time for this tutorial I found on Saturday: https://www.simplymaya.com/movie_page...html?tut_id=35
I understood it contains an explanation on rendering in layers...

Can someone tell me what's wrong with the lighting?
Thanks in advance,
Benny

My latest snake game