Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 16-05-2003 , 11:14 PM

Controlling particle goal behaviour on vertices

Hi,
using goals,
a particle emmiter is emmiting particles onto a polysphere(goal).
the particles seem to form on the sphere starting top to bottom
What i want to do is control which vertices on the polysphere the particles are atrracted to first.
For example i want to make the particles form on the sphere from left to right and not top to bottom.
How should i go about doing this, any ideas?
Thanks,
Sid

# 2 17-05-2003 , 12:56 AM
My firs thtought would be to paint Goal Weights, but lemme check the docsuser added image

hold on, checking...

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 3 17-05-2003 , 01:03 AM
Yup!

Study the docs under DYNAMICS > GOALS

I would either create and key the goalPP influence on each vertice goal weight, OR create a simple animated ramp to the goal object to drive the goal weights so your particles are attracted to the object where and how you wantuser added image

Hope that helped! Good luck!

PS - Here is a blurb from the docs:

When you add a goal to an object, Maya adds a corresponding goal weight attribute to the trailing particle object. The goal weight sets how much all particles of the trailing object are attracted to the goal. You can set the goal weight before you create the goal using the Goal options window, or you can adjust the goal weight afterwards using the Attribute Editor.

You can set goal weight to a value between 0 and 1. A value of 0 means that the goal's position has no effect on the trailing particles. A value of 1 moves the trailing particles to the goal object position immediately.

A value between 0 and 1 causes the particles to move toward the goal as if bound to it by an elastic spring. The closer to 1, the faster the trailing particles settle at their final position. The goal weight value is 0.5 by default.

Tips
To make the trailing particle object follow the goal object with less oscillation, set the trailing particle object's Conserve attribute to a value less than 1, for instance, 0.8. A value of 0 prevents oscillation.

You can turn the effect of a goal object off or on without setting goal weight. With the trailing particle object attributes displayed in the Attribute Editor, turn off the Goal Active attribute associated with the goal object.

Israel "Izzy" Long
izzylong.com
# 4 17-05-2003 , 01:05 AM
OH, almost forgot, When the docs say "TRAILING",
they mean the particles you have assigned to the goal object.

i.e. - tentacles from a jellyfish etc.

Israel "Izzy" Long
izzylong.com