Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 18-08-2003 , 09:52 AM
Subscriber

AM vs Maya

I just thought I'd ask but are there any AM users out there who use Maya too? Just wanted to know how you would compare the two programs.

AM is now much better that it is in version 10/10.5 but I still find it being a bit glithcy... I have been using Maya over the last month more intensely and I am begining to really like it.

I know AM quite well and like some of its features, I don't know Maya as well so this is why I asking. Do the animation tools match AMs? Is AM faster than Maya? These are the sort of things I would like any experienced Hasher/Maya users to answer.

Thanks in advance.

Tickety boo and ta ta for a bit...
Gazzamataz
https://www.gazzamataz.com
# 2 18-08-2003 , 06:59 PM
I have used both quite heavily. I have found AM to be increadible software for the price, but if you put them next to each other maya is a far better program. the sheer range of things that can be done with maya boggles the mind. the character setup and IK in maya is probably the best available off-the-shelf. I have always had trouble getting characters rigged and moving properly in AM user added image
the renderer in AM is good, but maya's is better user added image
They tools in maya are about a million times faster and more developed. once you have been working in Maya for a while you stop thinking about the interface and just create.
so if you mean which one is faster modeling, definitely maya.
if you mean which one runs faster, definitely AM.

AM is an amazing program for $300.
But maya is an amazing program for $7000 user added image

# 3 18-08-2003 , 07:35 PM
Kevin
I still cant believe you are talking about that sub standard product and comparing it against maya gaz!

Its almost like comparing a POS mac to a PC user added image

fight fight fight

# 4 19-08-2003 , 08:25 AM
Subscriber
Kev - watch it - the boxing gloves are on and I know something that the Mac is definately better than the PC at. Throwing at cheeky Administrators user added image Kocks 'em stone dead!

Carrot Juice - which version of AM have you or are you using? When you say AM for speed do you mean realtime speed during animation playback? I know what you mean about the Maya tools being developed, I have recently been doing alot of UV-ing and there isn't anything as refined as that in AM. But I still love the use of models, actions, poses and choreographies in AM. I know you can do it in Maya but it's more clunky...

Gazzamataz
# 5 25-08-2003 , 03:05 AM
I gonna buy Animation:Master, simply cos so cheap

Yeah, but no but yeah but no....
# 6 25-08-2003 , 03:18 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by Kevin
I still cant believe you are talking about that sub standard product and comparing it against maya gaz!

Its almost like comparing a POS mac to a PC user added image

fight fight fight

HA-Ha-ha! LOL

# 7 25-08-2003 , 02:03 PM
Macs aren't all that bad... infact there are better Macs than PCs... IF you've got the money. for sheer affordability and products available there is nothing better than a PC user added image

# 8 27-08-2003 , 08:22 AM
Subscriber
Yeah! But as I said Macs make better weapons for throwing at cheeky administrators, especially if they are PC only - they hurt more!

BTW, the new Macs do look good, when Panther comes out I think they will be better. The one thing I think that let's them down is graphics cards and the lack or 3D software (Maya Unlimited?).

Gazzamataz