Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 06-09-2004 , 08:21 PM
Subscriber

What do you want?

Any tools you think maya needs but doesn't have. I'd like to here some sugestions so i can write some plug-ins.

# 2 06-09-2004 , 08:35 PM
Subscriber
a UI builder.
by that plugin that lets you create various windows and add buttons, tools, or special view set ups for animating and modeling or dynamics and rendering. something that let you build and customize what is in front of you based on the task at hand. wether it is modeling animation or dynamics etc...
that would be very helpful to those who don't have time to learn the portion of UI building with MEL and the API.
notice i say the "portion" of UI building, i say this because it is an entire thing on it's own, nonetheless i'm not saying it's the hardest
either that or a noise generator, that can generate terrain or deform a surface and animate it. .. sort of like max modifyer thing.

# 3 06-09-2004 , 08:44 PM
Subscriber
A UI builder and task specific setups would be nice and easy and i like the idea of a terrain generator so i'll add both of those to my "to do" list.

EDIT: - What do you mean by animate it?

Last edited by ckyuk; 06-09-2004 at 08:47 PM.
# 4 06-09-2004 , 10:40 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by ckyuk

EDIT: - What do you mean by animate it?

i.e. turbulance, magnitude, frequency, fall off, buoyancy,
or cycle etc.. basically you could for instance apply it to a character's face and i twill make it wobble, or apply to a plane and might be able to create a procedural lava type mesh or simply act like a noise deformer, or apply it to a sphere and displace it like a peice of gum.. that sor to of animation
good luck.
:tup:
the UI builder would be a very useful tool for any sort of project.

# 5 07-09-2004 , 01:08 PM
I just saw the new 3DS Max 7 features and the one thing that I saw that was nice was a 1st person camera view that lets you move through your just created scene - now that is something thats would be very nice to have in maya !..

you create your scene in wire and scroll through with it like you were actualy there !

The Important Thing is NOT to Stop Questioning.
--- Albert Einstein ---
www.ProtheusWorld.tk
# 6 07-09-2004 , 01:13 PM
The Maya Mountain
I think Maya has that already, if I'm not mistaken... I've never used it, but I recall reading something like that a while back.

# 7 07-09-2004 , 03:57 PM
are you sure as Ithe only way I can figure out how to do that is moving the camera with your mouse - I never knew it has it - I don't thinks os... but now you are making me curious.. goingto look it up

Will get back !

--- Albert Einstein ---
www.ProtheusWorld.tk
# 8 07-09-2004 , 05:40 PM

# 9 07-09-2004 , 09:36 PM

Originally posted by Protheus
I just saw the new 3DS Max 7 features and the one thing that I saw that was nice was a 1st person camera view that lets you move through your just created scene - now that is something thats would be very nice to have in maya !..

you create your scene in wire and scroll through with it like you were actualy there !

Just make a path and attatch a camera to it and bingo.

# 10 07-09-2004 , 11:12 PM
Subscriber
I'm with twisted on this one. Motion path + Cam are your friend for this.

Now my question is.. so max didn't have this till v7 ? or just didn't have a button for it. Not that a button for it would be a good thing.

# 11 07-09-2004 , 11:27 PM
The Maya Mountain
After thinking about it, I think the "game camera" was an addition to Maya through the Maya Games Plugins. Sorry. Not native to Maya. But it is available.

# 12 08-09-2004 , 12:19 PM
yeah but when you create a path and attach a camera to it it is resricted to the path is is assigend to - with a 1st pwerson view you move freely ad maybe it is in the game plugin - I remember that there is a game plugin set - what is the name of if ??

And yes I guess there is a button that creates the 1st person view and lets you walk around

--- Albert Einstein ---
www.ProtheusWorld.tk
# 13 10-09-2004 , 07:22 PM
What about a Light Meter type function like Max has. It might help light scenes a little better. Just a thought. user added image

Russell

Russell Bolding
CEO/Founder - Russelltopia Studios
Web:https://www.russelltopia.com
Email:russbo@russelltopia.com
# 14 10-09-2004 , 11:00 PM
Subscriber
what is a light meter? Sorry, Im not that familliar with Max. But if you are talking about setting up sun automatically by coordinates i think it is an option in the bonus tools

# 15 11-09-2004 , 12:15 AM
Subscriber
I think there talking about light meters like that are used in photography. Like perhaps have a locater and facing direction where you can get a idea of how much light is coming from a direction. I could see where it might have its uses. Not to sure it would be anything accurate like measuring in lumes (sp? think that’s the name of the measurement).

of cores there is always the values recorded in the rendered images..