Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 17-01-2007 , 09:50 AM
Subscriber

House on the ocean

Hi Everyone,

This is my first time posting here. I am a student about to graduate and I have used maya for about a year now.I get tutorials from here every now and then that look interesting to see if their are any new techniques I can pick up to speed my modeling up. I did kurts tutorial on the haunted house and then added a few extra elements to kind of make it my own rendered scene. Tell me what you think.

user added image

Last edited by banksta; 17-01-2007 at 09:55 AM.
# 2 17-01-2007 , 09:54 AM
Subscriber
wheres the image

# 3 17-01-2007 , 10:05 AM
Subscriber
feedback please kind people.

# 4 17-01-2007 , 11:03 AM
yeah i think it's cool, i just think that instead of doing all your models following tutorials u should just get the idea of how to make the model from a tutorial and then do your own model, and don't need to worry about the time you spend working on a model, more time usually means more quality lolololol well just keep trying and you 'll improve, no doubts, lol hoping to see more of your works

M!G0nS@
# 5 17-01-2007 , 11:36 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by migonsa
yeah i think it's cool, i just think that instead of doing all your models following tutorials u should just get the idea of how to make the model from a tutorial and then do your own model, and don't need to worry about the time you spend working on a model, more time usually means more quality lolololol well just keep trying and you 'll improve, no doubts, lol hoping to see more of your works

Thanks for the feedback man. I actually do create on my own, I just haven't posted it up yet. I just thought the house went pretty well with the extra elements I added. I just posted it because I wanted to give people really new to maya a feel for what you can do with practice. I really liked the house Kurt drew and decided to use it in a scene. Even though I am at intermediate level with maya I still think doing tutorials here and their benefits you. I also think kurt does a good job in his tutorials and this is kind of a free endorsement for him.When I started modeling their where not as many good tutorials out their to help me advance so I had to spend hours just learning little things that I laugh about now. He explains pretty well how to do things in his tutorials which I think is a benefit to brand new 3d modelers. I will post some more work up shortly. Once again thanks for the feedback.

# 6 17-01-2007 , 12:04 PM
Lighting is everything but OK. Where are the shadows.
In the tutorial they talk about lighting right, what hapend

goksimaster
# 7 17-01-2007 , 12:12 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by goksimaster
Lighting is everything but OK. Where are the shadows.
In the tutorial they talk about lighting right, what hapend

I have not actually finished the lighting yet because I am still trying to figure out if I want to give it a more spooky feel or not. I will repost when I have better lighting. Thanks for the input.

# 8 17-01-2007 , 01:43 PM
Subscriber
the water is way too bright for night time... it is a night scene right? looks that way. either way with the clouds and the way the sky looks a lake/ocean/sea wouldn't look that green/bright...

# 9 17-01-2007 , 01:54 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by Rhetoric Camel
the water is way too bright for night time... it is a night scene right? looks that way. either way with the clouds and the way the sky looks a lake/ocean/sea wouldn't look that green/bright...

Thanks for the input

# 10 17-01-2007 , 08:44 PM
Also about the water... it seems to 'realistic'. You have a style mismatch - the house is done cartoonish, while the water is realistic. Unfortunately, I'm not sure how to make it seem like the water is cartoonish....

Book Wise

https://X4nd5r.deviantart.com
# 11 19-01-2007 , 09:23 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by Xander-0
Also about the water... it seems to 'realistic'. You have a style mismatch - the house is done cartoonish, while the water is realistic. Unfortunately, I'm not sure how to make it seem like the water is cartoonish....

Thanks for the input

# 12 20-01-2007 , 06:06 PM
Acid44
there is a simple way to make the water look more cartooninsh: just make a poly plane stretch it out to size and apply a basic ocean shader make small changes till it looks how you want it

havent done it in a while but it looked cartoony to meuser added image

i like the mix of realism and cartoon but i think it would work better if the whole area surrounding the house was realistic and just the house was cartoony or vice-versauser added image

# 13 21-01-2007 , 10:11 AM
Subscriber
haha great idea with putting the house on the ocean. the sky needs to be more lighter to match the water i reckon, but i think youved done an good job. the water looks cartoonish which i like about that, it had a nice aqua cooler to it.

marlon