Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 18-02-2010 , 03:44 AM
Subscriber

Advice Please?

Ok
so I have this geometry i am working with,
All pieces of geometry in this screen shot have the same shader applied to them.
All normals are ok, I've tried reversing , setting to face, Exporting as OBj and importing back , no effect, When rendered it renders like it should with no bad effects like seen in this screen shot.

I have tried ungrouping the grouped objects.
I have tried creating a new shader for them.
I have tried totally deleting the shader to see if i had the same effect with the 'green ' base skin, which i do.
I have this problem in all four views other then Side view ( And top that point, when this geometry is viewed directly from teh z axis on either side in the persp view, it does not happen. but from both +/- y and x axis it does happen as shown in the screen shot.

I have tried creating a new camera.
I have tried to delete the preferences and start with default prefs.

I've tried duplicating the object.
I've tried scaling it negatively to the same size as it is now to see if its some scaling issue.
I add a light to the scene and press the 7 key, it acts proper, it only happens with the default lighting render.
and it only happens in -my- hardware render.
It only happens with this piece of geometry and a select other few in the same area. they are all grouped together but again it isn't a group issue, because I've tried un grouping to no avail, and also not all objects in that group are effected. and It only happens on my machine, Sharing the file with another person, they do not have the same issue, they see it as it should look.

I cant go the rout of updating my drivers, because i cannot use catalyst drivers on my system with Maya, or it will crash, But it doesn't appear to be a display driver issue, because IT affects only these select pieces of geometry and effects them every single time that Maya is opened or closed.

once more, when i render them, they render fine, but in the display they are all buggered up.
i cant think of anything else i have tried at the moment.
there are a few other peices of geometry that are affected, but this shows the concern. The geometry that is black, is the problem, it should appear as the surrounding geometry does.
I have tried to recreate the problem, but i cannot do it successfully at this time.

I am open to any suggestions at this time.

G-man

Attached Images

Follow My Business
On The Web!
Or
On Facebook!
# 2 19-02-2010 , 07:31 AM
Subscriber
i thought maybe it's not on the render layer but it's clearly not the case or you wouldn't see it in the viewport
i dont suppose it's visibility is off in the render stats either or it wouldn't show up on other people's render

have you tried recreating the shape? like... getting a cube or something and just snapping verts to where verts are on the shape?

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 3 19-02-2010 , 08:08 AM
Subscriber
I would do that, but there Is actually alot of geometry involved that isn't shown in the screen shot that i woudl have to recreate.
about an hour or so of work give or take. Plus, considering what this is for, i need to be able to explain how to fix the issue, if it were to be recreated further down the road in the project.

G-man

Follow My Business
On The Web!
Or
On Facebook!
# 4 21-02-2010 , 08:50 AM
Lifetime Member
i would think its a lighting issue , the default lighting cannot light it correctly probably due to its placement or scale in the scene.

2 x Modeling Challenge Winner
# 5 22-02-2010 , 12:42 AM
Subscriber
Sounds reasonable, but i would ask .
If this are the case, Then why would the default lighting on someone else's computer show the geometry just fine?
That once more leads me back to the problem that it is most likely something with my computer.
Non the less, i have for the moment decided to move on and ignore it, since the final product of the model is not being effected at all by the view port issue.
Though if someone can come up with a solution, please feel free to share as i am stumped at the moment.
thank you for the response though JS,
hope all is well with you mate, been a while since we spoke for any length.

g-man

Follow My Business
On The Web!
Or
On Facebook!
# 6 22-02-2010 , 01:18 PM
Lifetime Member
have you moved your defaults lights at all mate ?

im good btw , hopefully we can catch up sometime soon .

2 x Modeling Challenge Winner
# 7 22-02-2010 , 02:37 PM
Subscriber
No, i haven't.

I'm on skype more now then i am msn mate.
you can catch me at
george.waldron1982@gmail.com or also gewaldr for my skype name.

g-man

Follow My Business
On The Web!
Or
On Facebook!