Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 16-08-2003 , 07:56 PM
Subscriber

VERY Newbie texture question....

Hiya Guys/Gals.

I have been looking through some of the excellent artwork created in the competitions section, and even though I cannot hope to create anything like I have seen by other members -
TwEeK has convinced me to 'have a go' just for the learning aspect if nothing else...

But, and it's a BIG butt... I'm useless at UV's and am a bit stuck as to how to colour my scene?

OK say I modelled a pencil out of Poly's, how do I make the lead, err say 'lead' colour - the wood brown and the body painted?
Do I have to make the 'pencil' in 3 parts?

I know of no way of texturing the different parts?

user added image Regards Scraggy

# 2 16-08-2003 , 08:12 PM
Subscriber
You don't have to make the pencil in three parts unless you want to.

You could select the faces as groups and assign simple shaders to them in the Hypershade.

Or you could apply a cylindrical UV map to the pencil (edit polys / textures/ cylindrical mapping). From there you take a 'snapshot' of the UVs in the UV editor and export to your paint programme to colour the parts. You then paint in what you want the pencil to look like in your image editor. You can then import the painted map onto a shader (creating a new lambert and choosing to source a file texture for it for example). With a nice simple object like a pencil you should get a fairly uncomplicated UV map which is easy to make initial adjustments to and which might be good practice.

Try Mike's site;

https://www.mtmckinley.net

for a good intro to the hypershade and UV mapping and check out the tutorials here too (time for me to mention the rabbit UV tut again! Joy!).

Last edited by Witchy; 16-08-2003 at 08:16 PM.
# 3 16-08-2003 , 09:03 PM
Subscriber
Thanks - I am gonna press f1 and see what "Select faces as groups" brings up....BTW maybe I'm just slow, but have loads of stuff on UV's but it's just not sinking in...
I need Forum feedback at the moment,
[Because I cannot afford a course] I recently got a book "Maya 4.5 for windows and Mac" from library and have subscribed to 3DWold for help...(Bit beyond me at the moment though) we will have to see whether it helps....But until then, looks like you are stuck with me asking dumb questions-lol

Hmmm is there a limit to the amount of 'dumb questions' ????

I tried UV mapping a shell of a house I made, YUK! when I saw the map??? was like eh? all looks same which way is up?...Eventually i read that the UV's 'light up, so just lit 1 wall, (so I knew where I was going, and didn't have a mess of jumbled bits that confused me) took it into Pshop and airbrushed it, then back out to maya, was pretty easy to align then... Hmmm

Question :- Is that the way I should be doing it, like 1 wall at a time? Or texture it as I create it? because it confuses the hell out of me otherwise.
Or another way?(say like mask an area somehow?) or something..

Ohh yeah this one really gets me mad!- When i'm selecting say edges on a complicated object, i'm forever selecting unwanted edges or vertices whatever? are there any aids to stop me doing this accidentally? err say I don't want to use wireframe...

- Thanks -
[edit] - just tried the pencil in Cylindrical-mapping, it's a confusing sight, but experimentation will help me... Muaghahahahah !

Scraggy (The Mad Scientist)

Last edited by Scraggy_Dogg; 16-08-2003 at 09:19 PM.
# 4 16-08-2003 , 09:23 PM
Select faces as groups - just means going into face mode and selecting a bunch of faces

i also have Maya 4.5 for windows and Mac, and its a pretty good book for getting to know maya

now i dont really know what lighting up uv's is...but try searching on automatic UV mapping(edit polygons>texture)

as for selecting unwanted edges....you could try display>custom polygon disply ... and turn on backface culling...it basicly hides the part of the object that is not facing you so you cant select it

- TwEeK
# 5 16-08-2003 , 09:57 PM
Subscriber
Thanks,

I'm working 12 Hr days at the moment, so have only managed a test-tube and pencil so far tonight, but I have 1Hr left so will try to texture... user added image
BTW The 'Faces' in groups (now i get it - cheers) is more or less same as I meant by 'selecting'
[Sorry - I said - 'lighting up' ].....one UV in the 3D view and looking across to the UV editor and checking which point it is excactly on the map.
I scaled my pencil up to 1000 on the Snapshot, and even then the areas(to colour?) are very small - yet my pencil is a lot bigger than I would normally do? Hmmm any ideas?

Regards and thanks to all Scraggy

# 6 16-08-2003 , 10:32 PM
i think you miss understood....this method has nothing to do with messing around with the UV's

what you need to do is go into face mode.....select all the faces you want to have in a particylar colour, and assign a new material to it.....this should be much faster and easier then messing arounf with the UV's

- TwEeK
# 7 16-08-2003 , 10:46 PM
Subscriber
WOW - so easy !
hehe - glad I came user added image

Me wonders ?
So can u sort of err pick a face, extrude, rescale then paint a diff colour/texture ? from the rest? (I have my fingers crossed till someone answers this post) - Woo-Hoo if yes!

Scraggy

# 8 17-08-2003 , 07:00 AM
yes

- TwEeK