Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 16 24-02-2004 , 09:30 PM
# 17 24-02-2004 , 09:38 PM
Yes

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675
# 18 24-02-2004 , 09:41 PM
Oh thx Mike but too mutch points for my wery small founds, I am in upgradeing my computer at the moment and I dont have any founds too spend on points but when i finish my comp I will buy some og them, how mutch is 12 points?? btw files are too big for my home internet and I need too go to net cafe to download!!! Fu..ing 56k modems user added image

# 19 25-02-2004 , 05:17 AM
Well I am learing one thing about maya. You could spend your entire life on one model and it will never really be done (haha).

- refined the lips
- refined the cheek bone and cheek
- reduced polys from the base mesh from 2200 to 1500

Really learned a ton from this model. Not only does it look cool but I think my next model will go 10 times faster and have even crisper detailing.

I finally understand creasing I think!

Attached Thumbnails
# 20 25-02-2004 , 09:21 AM
OK you have wery nice model there, for how long you are in 3d, or for how long you model in maya???

# 21 25-02-2004 , 09:48 AM
It´s looking petty good, keep the good work user added image

weld some pixels !!!
# 22 25-02-2004 , 10:54 AM
Thank you ankalagon. Haha this is my second organic model in Maya. I worked for SGI for 5 years and can get the unlmited version for free. I had it sitting around for months and decided I would install it and see what 3d modelling was like.

I worked around real 3d modellers enough though to learn some of the work flow by osmosis - you know where things go from high density to LOW (hehe).

My first attempt at a 3d model was the nurbs human model of my nephew, I posted in this section as well.

I did not complete that model because I got bogged down in the nurbs patch network. By that time I had spent about 3 weeks using Maya. I stopped for a couple months then decided to try again but this time I decided to start from the ground up.

I bought the points for the monster head and complete dragon tutorials and this model is the result.

I really want to get into character modelling but I have never done any art training so I am an old fogy starting to self teach myself character art.

I bought a great book "Human Anatomy made Amazingly Easy" by Christopher Hart. I tried to apply what I have been learning from that to this model.

I absolutely love Maya and I am hopelessy hooked. I may never have a career in Character Modelling but I will be a closet modeller forever! I just wish I had more artistic talent to take better advantage of it. I have been looking at some of the work in the Jan/Feb challenge and I am quite envious.

I feel a bit like Saliari envying a bunch of Motzarts.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675

Last edited by ctbram; 10-03-2004 at 01:35 AM.
# 23 25-02-2004 , 11:05 AM
Was playing with lambert and blinn shaders and this popped out. I thought it looked interesting enough to share.

Attached Thumbnails
# 24 25-02-2004 , 12:26 PM
Mean It looks too plastik, make some not so shine textur, looking god BTW kip it up

# 25 25-02-2004 , 12:39 PM
I understend what you are talking abouth, I am wery bad with pencile (I don`t know to draw wery nice), my father is greate Drawer, my brother went into Dessing school, and I am Photografer, I am cretiv soul and i have some kind of need to expres my self, 3ds was the first program i begin to learning in, tah my frend introduced me with MAYA and like you say " may never have a career in Character Modelling but I will be a closet modeller forever". BTW i have few frends who draw wery nice nad thay can help me with references. BTW anyone can draw, model yust what you need is patienc and time user added image

# 26 25-02-2004 , 01:00 PM
Oh I forget, a have this greate book, nema is Anatomy for the artist by Jeno Barcsay, the drowings in taht book are so greate that i think ewery character modeler should have it on his desk

# 27 25-02-2004 , 04:37 PM
It never ends!

- Learning to use Polygon Edit>Selection I cleaned the model to 19 triangles. With the exception of the 4 that are at the corner of the mouth all the remaining ones are tucked in hard to see areas and all are very tiny.

- Added more bone structure to the top of the head
- Redid the nostril loops
- tweaked the lower lip a bit
- tweaked the cheek and jaw line
- added musculature flow to the neck in preparation for going to the body tutorial.

At this point I think I am gonna call this head done and will be starting on the body model next.

PS - I agree the blue plastic shinny shader does not look all that good. I mainly was just tinkering and thought it looked interesting at the time.

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by ctbram; 25-02-2004 at 04:44 PM.
# 28 25-02-2004 , 07:33 PM
Very nicely done user added image user added image

# 29 26-02-2004 , 10:31 AM
grrrr! The cheek just was not right. It was to sunk in at the very front so I had to do one last tweak. LOL

Attached Thumbnails
# 30 26-02-2004 , 03:03 PM
That looks great!

Lungs not guns....