Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 09-03-2004 , 06:07 PM
Subscriber

mirroring a polygon model

hi guys, ive just recently modelled a subaru wrx with poly, and i have smoothed it, and i went to mirror geometry with merge vertices ticked

and when i mirror it, i seem to have a gap right in the middle of it and if i render a little of it, you can see that gap....

arghh.........

is there an option i can snap it to the middle?? with no gaps??

Endorphin Rules
# 2 09-03-2004 , 07:06 PM
that means not all your verts are lined up properly along the 0 axis. Grab all the verts in one go that you want to be on that line and scale them on the axis (probably z) untill they line up (the scaling handle should sit under the middle scale handle).

Then mirror them and then smooth them. Never smooth first always do it last.

Alan

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 3 10-03-2004 , 02:55 PM
Subscriber
hey thanks for that, got it working !

Another quick question, im following this tutorial on modelling the car, and im stuck at the moment:

i need to convert my polygon to subdiv

when it try to do it it wont want to it says something like this
"command poly to subdiv failed. open script editor for details"

ive merged the vertices down the middle as well....

ive never touched subdiv only polygon modelling...

thanks!

Endorphin Rules
# 4 10-03-2004 , 03:41 PM
well did you open the script editor and look for details?! If you had i'm thinking that it will probably say something about the fact that you have too many or too few original faces or some crap like that. Up the number in the options box and you should be fine after that. Either that or it's bitching about non manifold geometry. In which case run poly cleanup on it and make it get rid of the non manifold stuff. Or find it yourself (look for oddly shaded (black) faces) and make sure that the polys are planar.

Alan

IMDB
# 5 06-04-2004 , 11:58 PM

Originally posted by Pure_Morning
that means not all your verts are lined up properly along the 0 axis. Grab all the verts in one go that you want to be on that line and scale them on the axis (probably z) untill they line up (the scaling handle should sit under the middle scale handle).

What do you mean scale them? This doesn't sound like the right tool to me. How does this work? I want to line up all the vertices on the right side of my complex poly so that I can mirror the poly and not have a gap.

Thanks,
Stu

Attached Images
# 6 07-04-2004 , 08:42 AM
yes so scale them, if you scale a selection of vertices in one direction then they will all line up when the small red square lines up over the blue one in the middle. So in you pic above grab the red handle and scale it in until it shits over the middle handle. Those verts will be lined up and you can then mirror without having to much cleanup afterwards.

Alan

IMDB
# 7 07-04-2004 , 07:26 PM
that may work, but I found a way that made more sense to me: I selected the vertices, clicked the move tool and changed the Move tool settings to World, and turned off retain component spacing. Then turned on snap to grid and moved the vertices out then back in to snap along the axis.

Thanks.

# 8 08-04-2004 , 10:18 AM
or just scale them user added image

IMDB