Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 16 26-06-2004 , 01:50 AM
... and an update

this is just the mirrored and subD verson of the above user added image

i got a bit bored with thisone today and started modeling a bmw instead.. but i gotta sleep now user added image i'll post pics tomorrow

Attached Thumbnails

sleep is for lam3rs
# 17 26-06-2004 , 08:43 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Hey thanks for the wire. Overall its clean, which is aleays a good sign, but I think you could lose a few polys around the nose area at this stage and also the cheeks, especially if you are converting to SubD it doesn't need to be this dense just yet. You need to shape the polys around the mouth and eyes as if they were going around in a circle, basically get them to loop.
Keep going on the model dont uv it just yet though.

_J

# 18 26-06-2004 , 09:37 AM
havent given up on her yet user added image

lips are now smoother and the nose is a little rounder.. done som work on the eyes too

Attached Images

sleep is for lam3rs
# 19 26-06-2004 , 09:43 AM
yeah i looked at one of your wires (the hechemen guy) and loopy eyes and mouth seems to be the way to go.. i dont understand you you could get that kind of result with so few polys :O id really like to se the lowpoly wire for that guy user added image

sleep is for lam3rs
# 20 26-06-2004 , 10:22 AM
Hey thanks dude, There should be a wire there already, its the SubD wire and its just the same as the 'poly' mesh

_J

# 21 26-06-2004 , 10:29 AM
it is? i thought the subD got um.. subdevided O_o but maybe thats just the actual surface and not the wire..

sleep is for lam3rs
# 22 26-06-2004 , 04:24 PM
Subscriber
hey al...

I notist that you fixed some things...way to go...don't drop this one..your very close...keep at it and don't sleep ...cause you know for what kind that is.... user added image

# 23 26-06-2004 , 08:55 PM
Hi Al

I think you are confusing SubDs with Subdivided, SubDs are Subdivision Surfaces, basicall an algorythm smoothing of polys.
Subdivided is as in faces/quads or triangles (poly menus)

Jango

# 24 28-06-2004 , 01:45 PM
possebly user added image it got things strait now now.. my isp has been fudged up so i havent been able to upload anything..
the head is kinda iced now because ive been playing around with a car sideproject..

but im gonna go back to the head too user added image heres the car by the way

Attached Thumbnails

sleep is for lam3rs
# 25 28-06-2004 , 03:35 PM
Subscriber
nice start al! ... would keep it head thread tho... you were on your way with that one user added image will here from ya soon

# 26 29-06-2004 , 12:58 PM
alrighty some tweaking done mostly on the eyes.. they are still slightly weired because i ran out of time before work :| but i'll get back on em later.. ive been fitting the eyelids around a sphere
im gonna make the eyelids a bit thicker too and the right corner of the eye is to round..

any c&c is welcome user added image

Attached Thumbnails

sleep is for lam3rs
# 27 29-06-2004 , 06:00 PM
Hi Al

I think you are on the right track but there are some bits that really stick out here. The bridge of the nose is way too sharp and needs to be softened as its got huge crease. And also the line you have from the edge of the lips to the base of the nose is too low. I have drawn on your image, hope you dont mind, so you can see what I mean, also the brow needs to come out more.
I'm not trashing you or your model I just hope this is constructive enough for you to improve your model

Later
_J

Attached Images
# 28 29-06-2004 , 09:16 PM
Technical Director
Good work. But you might want to add a fractual for the blue of the eye.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 29 29-06-2004 , 09:42 PM
_J: np man user added image c&c is always good.. however the model is lit almost strait from the side in that shot so the bridge looks sharper than it acually is.. i agree on the other stuff tho user added image

peltra: yeah i know user added image eyeshaders are not final.. the eyeballs are just there for reference right now

sleep is for lam3rs
# 30 01-07-2004 , 12:48 AM
well didnt get much done on the model today user added image
ive been playing around with mental ray shaders.. man those rock user added image onething escapes me tho.. for dgs and dielectric.. is there really no way to set the number of rays? changeing in the render globals doesnt do it and ive found two tutorials in diffrent sites sating that the only way to get smooth blurred reflections is to up the sampleing, this however doubbels the rendering time :/

if anyone knows a way to up the rays used by mental rays baseshaders please do tell user added image

sleep is for lam3rs