Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 16 23-09-2004 , 05:18 PM
Subscriber
Really? Is that true? Everything new is now Mac-Compatible?

I just downloaded the cartoon dog step one and it was an AVI. Which is a format I did not even see mentioned in this string (I may have skipped over it)

You PC guys should really work on your issues about defensiveness whenever a Mac-person extends a request. We are not SimplyRagging on your platform of choice or your abilities. We just want to be able to spend money on your site.

Not to hard to figure out.

So, the person who posted "Mac *cough*" can kiss my a$$.
**(An ignorant, moronic statement posted in response to an ignorant, moronic statement.)

Encoding for cross-platform is not about Mac vs PC... it is about providing content suitable for any user so you make more money. So, ditch the attitude.

When I create product intended for PC users, I always create it on the Mac, port it over to my PC and check it for 100% compliance and compatibility. You should do the same.

And so you know, because the Dog tutorial was an AVI... I decided not to spend any money on the site because I felt that I would be wasting my money here... that is probably not true and seeing this string on this forum has clarified that... but most people will not look here after being burned.

Mac sales are 25% of Alias' Maya sales for a reason... because Macs are speedily catching up to Windows in the industry (they should bebe the industry IMO--but that is just me). But, that 25% will probably become 30%-40%-50% in the coming years with Apple's ingenious advancements and continuous speed over the PC. So, please keep that in mind.

# 17 23-09-2004 , 05:28 PM
Ok I see some of your points, when it come to mac vs pc and everyone fighting over the 2..

All of are new tuts going back about a year and a half including the dog tut are in divx so it should play on your MAC.

As far as the old WMV file tuts we are working on redoing a lot of them in divx so both MAC and PC users can veiw all are files.

Kurt

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

https://www.artstation.com/kurtb

# 18 23-09-2004 , 05:38 PM
SM Tea Boy
How many times can I say the same thing

WE NO LONGER USE ANYTHING NON MAC COMPLIENT AND HAVENT FOR YEARS.

The WMV is left on-line now in an archive section simply for re-downloads.

DiVX is iso mpeg 4 compliant, hence the reason we use it. It's compatible with Mac OS, Windows and Linux where’s is the problem?

David.

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"

# 19 23-09-2004 , 06:44 PM
Subscriber
Nothing is more frustrating to see than an angry mac user who complains for the wrong reason.

Yes, the Mac Maya crowd is growing fast and the SM gang here aknowledge it by their choice of codec. Personnaly, I dont see the market share of the mac going over 30% for the Mac. Its already very high if you consider that probably as many are linux users.

Just to inform you, AVI arent windows files, they are kinda like a "container" for media data. AVI can contain movies under various codecs. Some of them are mac compatible some are not.

The one used by SimplyMaya are mac compatible, only the old wma arent compatible with OSX because microsoft did not port the codec to OSX. But if you can run in classic mode, you can hear the sound in OS9.

Personnaly, I think everyone should use QuickTime but the codec they use at SM is well good enough, I just dont understand why I sometime get a lot of artifacts while playing and sometimes not, for the same sequence.

# 20 23-09-2004 , 06:54 PM
Guys, I've closed this thread spurred on by ciaran's last post (which I consequently deleted). If you want to turn this into a pointless "mine is better than yours" namecalling match, please do it elsewhere. The original question has been answered sufficiently....now go model, texture, or animate something. :Ogre:

Your cranky sod of a mod,

Nitro

"Terminat Bora Diem, Terminal Auctor opus."