Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 10-11-2004 , 02:31 AM
Subscriber

Job in Game Programming

with most arts based jobs, qualifications arent really an issue, its more about your portfolio/demo reel, theyre the things that will land u a job, but what about game programming?
how do you create a demo reel for that? well, do you create one at all? or is it all about your qualifications when u get into the programming world?

- Simon

My Website: www.Glass-Prison.com
# 2 10-11-2004 , 03:37 AM
The Maya Mountain
I can't really speak from experience, but at least one of the programmers I work with got the job because he coded his own little game called "Knights of Zarria" that he was able to send to employers. That speaks volumes, I'm sure. He's a graphics programmer, so he was utilizing some nice shaders and water effects and so on. You can find his site at www.ryanclark.net if interested.

# 3 10-11-2004 , 12:40 PM
having a informatics, IT or engineering degree sure helps a lot...

But I do know a psychologist that by having strong self taught c++ skills landed into AI programming for expert systems on an engineering company before and now for a game...

But, as always, what matters most is (i would place it on this order tough some may disagree):
1 Who you know (and what type of relationship you have with) ppl inside where you want to land
2 Your social skills, and particularly the ability to make ppl trust you (in the end it is all reduced to a mater of them having confidence in you).
3 What you actually have to show related to what you want to achieve (the reel in cg, an assortment of the code youve written before in programming)
4 The amount of experience in a similar position freelancing or in another company you can prove to have.
5 Your academic curriculum (which in most cases happens to be a prerrequisite for 3 and 4 but not necessarily true unless you want to be a medic, civil engineer/architect, accountant or lawyer )

Last edited by dragonfx; 10-11-2004 at 12:50 PM.
# 4 10-11-2004 , 12:50 PM
The Maya Mountain
Yeah, my friend Ryan does have a couple degrees... a Bachelor of Science and Master of Computer Science. So I imagine that helped some. But, similarly to art, without that game he made or without some sort of example code, I don't know if his hiring chances would have been as good. Making a small, impressive game to show people definitely got him the job.

# 5 10-11-2004 , 12:57 PM

Originally posted by mtmckinley
Yeah, my friend Ryan does have a couple degrees... a Bachelor of Science and Master of Computer Science. So I imagine that helped some. But, similarly to art, without that game he made or without some sort of example code, I don't know if his hiring chances would have been as good. Making a small, impressive game to show people definitely got him the job.

user added image

thats why #3 goes there instead of #5...! user added image

# 6 10-11-2004 , 02:06 PM
Subscriber
It really depends of the company and their mentality. At my friend's place, all of the boss have a degree in i.t. engineering and swear by it. They will never hire someone without such qualification no matter how good he is. Its a stupid way to hire people but thats how they work and I am sure they arent the only one like that.

So basicaly, getting a degree while programming your own game would be the best possible strategy.

# 7 12-11-2004 , 05:32 PM
Subscriber
would you say its rare to find game animators or game programmers?

- Simon

My Website: www.Glass-Prison.com