Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 16-11-2004 , 04:23 PM

Disney/Pixar.. The End of An Era?

Hey guys! user added image

I've been following the news of late about D & Ps separation and I've been doing some hard thinking. I LOVE both companies and their movies in the partnership they've had for the past 10 years. There's talk of both cos. getting back together but now that Disney is committing to starting another 'Toy Story', word is it'll make it harder for both sides to kiss and make up.

I work for Disney as a merchandiser and what pisses me off is how the greed factor has been pushed up so high. Disney AND pixar are both making a killing in this contract and I don't see why Jobs [Steve] is seeking out more money. If he loves his partnership with Disney so much, why doesn't he stay with them. He is, after all else, the CEO. He has final say, right? With 'The Incredibles' soaring past 100 mil and climbing and 'Cars' looking to be another smash hit for both sides, why take away the magic and replace it with money?

I'm glad 'Toy Story 3' is happening but it's like a zombie without its soul, ya know? TH and TA are saying they might not return and I feel without their voice talents, you may as well call the project "The Black Pearl"... the ship is sailing on, but just with soulless creatures with no heart. I'll be so sad if they $#!+ on this movie. TA and TH were the souls of TS 1 & 2 and it just wouldn't be the same with Patric Warburton and Tom Hanks' sound-alike brother. I see it going straight to video. I did read where it sounds like a theatrical release but we'll see. I also read where they're looking for "animation heavyweights" so that sounds promising. If anyone hears anything at all on the further developments on the D & P split or the future of TS3, please feel free to contact me at russbo@russelltopia.com. What do you all think? I'm curious now. Chime in when ready... user added image

Russell

Russell Bolding
CEO/Founder - Russelltopia Studios
Web:https://www.russelltopia.com
Email:russbo@russelltopia.com
# 2 16-11-2004 , 04:54 PM
The Maya Mountain
Now that Eisner is stepping down, Disney/Pixar relations might smooth a little. Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

# 3 16-11-2004 , 05:39 PM
Speaking of Disney, do you know if there's still away to see their any od their old shorts like, "Suzie, the Little Blue Coupe?" I remember having a disney music record set as a kid. Opening the album, you had a picture book so you could read and listen to the story on the record.....had some great shorts...one was "Suzie" (which was a fav, and funny enough....."Cars"looks likes 3D version of the Suzie autos artwork) and another was about this house that was stuck in the middle of all the skyscrapers going up....forgot the entire plot. I would love to get my hands on them again.

"Terminat Bora Diem, Terminal Auctor opus."
# 4 16-11-2004 , 10:43 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Yeah with Eisner out of the way things might be better, but Toy Story without Pixar would just Suck cos those guys really know their stuff with those characters, they're icons for christ sake!!, I've lost count of the times Disney has laid off a cg dept here or an animation dept there, they have lost the plot a bit over the last few years with so called sequels to things like The Lion King ( which was their last great piece of 2d if you ask me) although I thought Dinosaur was pretty well done, but again it was all shut down afterwards. If you go to a Disney store here in England its mostly the Pixar Related stuff thats saving their asses. Theres not much call for Mickey and Donald anymore, or stuff like the Lion King even.

Animation these days has gone 3d, period. Its the norm.

Sorry for the outburst

_J

# 5 19-11-2004 , 10:59 AM
Subscriber
I have to agree (even though I'm more of a Blue Sky fan myself). I still think/hope we will see some great 2D animation in the future. I would hate to see the art eaten up by big budget 3D movies.

Interesting debate though.

"You can live for yourself today -- or help build tomorrow for everyone" _LIVID

Optical Minefield
My Blog
# 6 26-11-2004 , 11:20 PM
Rumor Mill – some stuff I’ve read...

#1 Eisner dreamed of ‘re-animating’ all the classic Disney films into 3D computer animation.

#2 Pixar maybe starting a traditional animation department (now what would be good).

True, or not?

Yeah, but no but yeah but no....