Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 05-10-2002 , 05:17 AM

HELP - Another Stupid Question!

Okay, actually two stupid modeling-type questions:

1 - Once I assign a material to objects and then color them using the attribute editor, if I change the color of a selected object, other un-selected objects seen to be linked somehow color-wise as they change color along with the selected object. How do I unlink these objects? (this seems to have nothing to do with parenting).

2 - After modeling a simply shaped hand (each object detached from each other) I duplicated it, looks the same but some of the finger shapes won't shade, just stay in dark blue wireframe. So anyone know what the deal is with this?!? (I tried duplicating the original again and got the same results)

Any ideas???

Cheers!
user added image

# 2 05-10-2002 , 06:07 AM
The Maya Mountain
It sounds like you may have changed the color of Lambert1, which is the default shader that is applied to everything by default. If you change the color, the color of everything that hasn't been textured will change as well, because they have Lambert1 on by default.

Could you post a pic of your second question?

# 3 05-10-2002 , 10:21 AM
Subscriber
if its not a lambert1 problem, select your objects which you dnt want to be affected (colourwise), go to the hypergraph, dependancy graph and cut the connection

- Simon

My Website: www.Glass-Prison.com
# 4 05-10-2002 , 08:05 PM

Problem Semi-Solved!

Thanks again for your help mtmckinley and nem (This is great, I'm in NYC getting advice from England and Mississippi)

Problem #1 - Turns out I wasn't careful in selecting my objects. Just because you have an object chosen and highlighted in the Hypergraph, doesn't mean that's the choice when you right-click it in the workspace to select it's attribute window or some other property. Must pay attention to objects names.user added image

Problem #2 - Mtmckinley, posting an image is beyond me at this point, as I'm quite computer illiterate. (I know that sounds beyond hopeless, but then again I've animated for Disney and Warners, Frank Thomas is a friend, so I like to think I'm not completely useless!)

Rendering an image of the problem hand results in the un-shaded objects not showing up on the image, while the others are fine. It's probably easier for me to figure this out than to post an image of it hereuser added image

While I've got your attention, any ideas on how to convert curves (like those drawn with the Pencil Curve tool) into an object that could be translated and such? Also how to draw curves in 3D space - they always come out flat normally.

Thanks in advance - I'll post these questions on another thread!

Cheers!
user added image

# 5 05-10-2002 , 08:19 PM
Subscriber
you cant draw curves in 3d space, well, u can, just draw a curve, change to persp view, middle click drag to move the CV/EP in 3d space, but thats the only way to do it

to make a curve movable, just draw the curve and hit enter user added image but it wont render so you would need to use more curves and birail, extrude, etc etc

to post an image, all u nd to do is hit print screen (next to scroll lock) go into a photo editor (or paint if u really want! user added image) paste and save user added image easy peasy user added image

- Simon

My Website: www.Glass-Prison.com
# 6 06-10-2002 , 02:50 PM
Same problem here.
I solve this:
Right mouse button, assign corresponding existing shader and this is it. Or new one.

Why this to happen. I don`t now.

Maybe this help.

I love mechanical thing.