Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 03-02-2005 , 09:23 PM
Subscriber

Human head (yes, another one...)

Finally got started on my head, and it ain't all bad if I must say so myself... Then again, it's not that much yet either user added image

Started out doing the mouth tut at 3dtotal.com and worked my way from there... Not using reference atm, so progress is a bit slow, I think it took me about 1½ to get where I'm at now...

If anyone has any tips on how to go on from here, especially regarding the nose, they're more than welcome!

And now, the pic! I think it more or less speaks for itself, but if you don't agree, let me know and I'll explain it to ya user added image

As for what it's for, I'll let you know when I have some more done... user added image

Attached Thumbnails

Liter is French for 'Gimme some ****ing cola before I break vous ****ing lips!"
# 2 04-02-2005 , 10:08 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Blomkaal

Nice!! But dont forget your reference.

_J

# 3 05-02-2005 , 06:17 PM
I think you can use the same technique for eyes like you used for mouth. I think draw polygon with create polygon tool then extrude the edges with faces together and move them to the right position. For the nose it is not easy to explain but just experiment with split polygon tool and think little bit. I did many tutorials on making the head but never finished any cause I was always stuck. My first head was made without any tut.

# 4 06-02-2005 , 08:23 PM
Subscriber
Jango: Yeah I'll try and get some reference drawn sometime soon... And thanks of course user added image

Jcube: Yeah the eyes shouldn't be too much of a problem, and I've got the ear nailed down (just needs a little tweaking) so I guess the nose is the only big hurdle left...

But if anyone has some wires of poly noses that they'd don't mind sharing, please post them (for edgeflow study)

Also, a thought on eyes: I've been considering modeling the eyes shut because, as I see it, you then have all the geometry you need for animating... Any comments?

# 5 07-02-2005 , 12:18 AM
I am not the right one, but I did not saw any head modeled with eyes shut. And for the nose, try to take look at some wires, maybe in this forum ( easy to say user added image )

# 6 07-02-2005 , 05:32 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by blomkaal

Also, a thought on eyes: I've been considering modeling the eyes shut because, as I see it, you then have all the geometry you need for animating... Any comments?

no worries modeling the eyes open,
its easier to close the eyes than open them whe u are rigging them.

# 7 12-02-2005 , 10:48 AM
Subscriber
go for it!

Alpha Gamma Sygma.
# 8 12-02-2005 , 05:29 PM
Subscriber
Thanks alot y'all, been working on some reference, and I think the profile is pretty done, but I'm having quite a bit of trouble with the front view... I'll post something tomorrow...

# 9 13-02-2005 , 05:36 PM
Subscriber
Another weekend of getting absolutely nothing done... At least in Maya, but at the end of the day, isn't that what it's all about? user added image

I scanned the reference I've drawn and went over it with my tablet to clean it up and get a little pratice, and here's the result. It's now exactly the look I'm aiming for, but I figure I can just tweak the model once it's done...

PS: I haven't got that much drawing experience, so please don't laugh too much user added image And if anyone needs some red pen satisfaction, please go ahead and make some suggestions on how to build the head user added image

Still having some trouble with the front though user added image

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by blomkaal; 13-02-2005 at 05:40 PM.
# 10 16-02-2005 , 08:38 PM
Subscriber
Finally got some more work done on the model...

Started out doing the eyes and then worked my way down to the nose and got it combined with the mouth and chin... Still working without reference, so this took me somewhere around 3½ hours and it still needs some tweaking...

Attached Thumbnails

# 11 16-02-2005 , 09:29 PM
Subscriber
Looking very nice, keep at it :tup:

Watch Space Wars at www.3dden.co.uk now!

My pin number is XXXX
# 12 17-02-2005 , 05:10 AM
Subscriber
Can you post the orthographic views (front and side)? At the 3/4 view his eyes look close together and profile appears flat, but that could just be the angle. Pretty good for no reference, but I'd still recommend you keep some handy. Even if you don't use it in the scene its nice to be able to pick up a photo and compare features.

AIM: mhcannonDMC

"If you love your job, you'll never work another day in your life."
# 13 17-02-2005 , 05:31 AM
Hi, it looks nice, but try to follow the musculature of the face with ur edges; the eye and the mouth are well done, but try to make something this with the nose:

Attached Thumbnails
# 14 17-02-2005 , 05:56 AM
Subscriber
this what u need to follow..so it flows nicely..

Attached Thumbnails

Alpha Gamma Sygma.
# 15 17-02-2005 , 06:11 PM
Subscriber
Thanks for the input everyone, I'll try and get the edgeflow right...

MC, here's the orthos. I think the eyes are ok but the entire face definetely needs some tweaking...

Attached Images

Last edited by blomkaal; 17-02-2005 at 06:36 PM.