Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 08-02-2005 , 03:51 PM

Left overs

I have a series of parented objects constrained to a series of other parented objects.

I put together a script that breaks the constraint connections, unparents all of the objects then re-assigns the parent-child relationships (in a new order), then re-establishes the constraints just the way they were before.

The bi-product of this action is a bunch of unused constraints cluttering up the outliner. When I broke the connection of the constrains I assumed that it would be like deleting them but it didn't. The connections were gone but the constrain nodes(?) stuck around.

What I end up doing is, occasionally going into the outliner and performing a little house cleaning. I select the unused constraints and delete them. Each time I run the script again, they start to build up again.

How can I break the constrains so that they are GONE?

By the way, the reason I break the constrains before unparenting is because I discovered that if I unparent objects that have a constraint on them, sometimes they shift position.

Any thoughts?

# 2 08-02-2005 , 04:28 PM

By the way, the reason I break the constrains before unparenting is because I discovered that if I unparent objects that have a constraint on them, sometimes they shift position.

You can stop that by doing using the "preserve position" option when you unparent them.

As far as deleting the constraints you will probably need to write a script that will grab all of the constraints in the scene and then find any unconnected ones and bin them. Shouldn't be too hard try using lictConnections on the constraints.

Alan

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 3 08-02-2005 , 05:06 PM
Hmmm, preserve position..... If that works for me, I won't have to delete the constrains!! All problems would be solved! Thanks Pure_Morning. I'll take a look at that later.

Funny, but when you get use to using sortcuts you forget that there are options available when you access a function thru the menu. user added image