Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 16-02-2005 , 12:36 AM

texturing a NURBS sphere

Ok, I've had this problem since I started with Maya but never bothered to ask about it since my very limited use of NURBS. See the attached picture. How do I get the texture to rotate so that the pupil is at the top of the sphere? I've tried changing all the settings of the place2DTexture node without any luck, and the "interactive placement" is totally crazy; it makes strange curves and I have NO control over it.

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 01-04-2005 , 12:00 AM

nurb texturing for eyes

did you figure this out? I'm trying to do the same thing, and haven't had any luck...

hello world? anyone know the answer to this question?

# 3 01-04-2005 , 01:28 AM
Subscriber
Use the transform manipulators tool to reset the spheres pole vecter along X or Z depending upon which way they need to face.

AIM: mhcannonDMC

"If you love your job, you'll never work another day in your life."
# 4 03-04-2005 , 09:07 AM
do a projection rather than 2d. This way it wont try and spread itself along the diffevernt UV lengths of the objects.

# 5 03-04-2005 , 09:17 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by LauriePriest
do a projection rather than 2d. This way it wont try and spread itself along the diffevernt UV lengths of the objects.

Please correct me if wrong...
I think if you go the projection route, you'll want to parent the projector node (term?) to the sphere to keep it in the right spot.

# 6 03-04-2005 , 12:11 PM
Subscriber
projection mapping is the best way to do an eye.

1/ set up the geometry (make sure the poles are facing outwards, in the direction you want the eye to look)

2/create your material, go to color- click the checkered map box, choose File AS PROJECTION and load up your image.

***ok projection mapping in hardware rendering doesn't always come out perfect, so you have to work with ipr render to see the results***

3/ in the workspace in the hypershade, locate the 3d projection node within the texture node itself, make sure it set as planar projection then bang the interactive placement button

4/ resize, scale and translate (rotate if you have to but you shouldnt need to if you've set up the geometry correctly) to have the projection facing forward infront of the geomtry. (see attached image)

(keep eye on poles!)

oh in answer to mhcannon's post- if its going to be animated, i would simply just set a reference point for the texture and the object rather than parenting it.- another option is just group everything into one.

Attached Thumbnails

3D Modeler and Texture Painter (Learning)
"We have limits.... our imagination does not"

Final Year: University of Bradford (Worst place to live and study in the UK!!)

Last edited by cung; 03-04-2005 at 12:16 PM.
# 7 03-04-2005 , 04:31 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by cung
..oh in answer to mhcannon's post- if its going to be animated, i would simply just set a reference point for the texture and the object rather than parenting it.- another option is just group everything into one.

Ah, ok, cool.
Also, for a more realisitic eye you may want to use two spheres. Check this link for a great example/tutorial: https://www.andrew-whitehurst.net/eyeTut.html

Last edited by mhcannon; 03-04-2005 at 04:35 PM.
# 8 03-04-2005 , 04:48 PM
Subscriber

CG eyes

# 9 03-04-2005 , 06:28 PM

nurbs eye: mapping

another good place to go for learning how to make an eye
https://users.tinyworld.co.uk/steven_...tic_Eye_01.htm

but I ended up making mine into a poly model... got stuck on the mapping of nurbs bit. how do you do that?

I couldn't seem to find any real explanation as to how mapping worked with nurbs. Cung seemed to give a good explanation there. I hope it works.

I'm going to try krishnamurti's eye tut and see if I can figure out planar/spherical mapping in nurbs. it looks like a good tut.

# 10 16-08-2012 , 06:04 PM

HOW TO TEXTURE NURBS IN MAYA

# 11 16-08-2012 , 10:21 PM
Lifetime Member
This thread is dead garreth....its 7 years old bud.

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes