Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 17-02-2005 , 03:42 AM

Computer Lagging with Image Planes

Hello, First post, Wanted to say you guys have a great site here! Was looking around, couldent find an answer to this question so I decided to make a new thread.

I am a semi-noob to Maya, so bear with me user added image

Ok heres the problem, Im modeling a car (Honda Civic 2002, not relevent but FYI) I have my blueprints setup on image planes. When I model in the Perspective mode, I can do everything flawlessly, move CV's, make curves with no lag at all.

When I switch into the top or side view and try to zoom, move CV's or draw curves. My computer lags like none other, its really really slow. I'll move the CV and then a few seconds later it will move on the screen.

This dosent happen in Perspective view though. Im pretty sure its becasue I have the images on the Image planes. I dont know another way to do it though.

SPecs on my compy are

1700+ at 2.4 ghz (yes its stable)
512 Ram
Radeon 9500

rest isnt really relavent.

Thanks in advance!!!!

# 2 17-02-2005 , 03:14 PM
Bump...

# 3 17-02-2005 , 04:52 PM
Do you have the image planes on the camera? If you're not just use a polyplane that you texture with your refs. Worth a shot.

# 4 17-02-2005 , 05:36 PM
I tried that too, The textures dont look right though. Look at the pic....Do I have some settings wrong?

Attached Thumbnails
# 5 17-02-2005 , 05:39 PM

Laggy Image Planes

Hey Dimazz,

What you might try, what I like to do is go to "Panels" in your viewport and go to "orthographic" then "New" and make a new front and side for your image planes. That way, when in your original side and front views you'll get less lag.

Hope this helps.

!Masterfool

# 6 17-02-2005 , 06:06 PM
THANK YOU!!!! It workes flawlessly now!!!

# 7 17-02-2005 , 06:07 PM

No Problem!

Glad I could help!!!

!MasterFool