Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 23-02-2005 , 03:02 AM

How to set a plane's normals facing both side?

Here is a picture that might explain my question. It's part of a flower vase. I just want to know how to get that effect? When I build a plane, It only has normals pointing from one side, not both. I know that may be a quite stupid question, but I just cannot figure it out myself user added image Thank you for helping!

user added image

someone say bye, someone say hi
some may forget you, but never would i...
# 2 23-02-2005 , 03:15 AM
Subscriber
Not a stupid question. A face only has one normal, but with the default settings a texture will appear on both sides of a face. So unless you've changed the settings both sides will render.

AIM: mhcannonDMC

"If you love your job, you'll never work another day in your life."
# 3 23-02-2005 , 06:21 AM
Thank you for answering user added image
I know in Maya it works fine, but actually I'm trying to make a Sims 2 (a game, in case you don't know) object. The object showed in the picture is extracted from the game. Here is picture that shows what the problem will be if a plane has only one normal (left is in game effect and right is in maya). You can see the stamens not display correctly, because the normals of petals is pointing into the middle of the flower. However, if I simply reverse the normals, the petals on far side won't show because they are pointing away from the camera. Thus in order to make it work, I need to have normals on both side of the plan, as the picture above user added image
user added image

someone say bye, someone say hi
some may forget you, but never would i...
# 4 23-02-2005 , 02:36 PM
Subscriber
If there's no specific poly limit, you could try to make duplicates of the faces, place them on top of the original ones and reverse the normals... Just a thought, not sure if it'll work...

Liter is French for 'Gimme some ****ing cola before I break vous ****ing lips!"
# 5 23-02-2005 , 02:58 PM
The Maya Mountain
Yes, duplicating and reversing the duplicate's normals is what we do if the engine doesn't support double-sided faces.