Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 25-03-2005 , 12:27 PM

what is the good way to clean up topology???

when i finished modeling ..i found my model have lots of triangle .. or sometime it has more than 4 edges per polygon...

anyone please ....???

# 2 25-03-2005 , 12:55 PM
Well .. u can delete some of the edges to make triangles into quads and use Split Polygon Tool to cut some Ngons into quads.
When you delete edges, go into vertex mode to check if there are no vertices from the deleted edge left behind. You'd have to delete them as well.

Check out Polygons > Cleanup. I think it will automate this for you when dealing with large number of polygons that need fixing.

# 3 25-03-2005 , 02:02 PM
the cleanup tool doesn´t remodel your object by changing tris into quads. it shows you nonmanifold (which I benefit the most from) komponents as well as nonplanar faces and things like that.

if you want to change tris into quads you have to model it yourself like Eelco mentioned. there is a tool called mjPolyTool which creates edgeloops? but I have not used it yet, so I can´t really tell what it does exactly.

# 4 25-03-2005 , 02:45 PM
Subscriber
In addition to poly cleanup, there is a quadrangulate function under the polygon menu.

AIM: mhcannonDMC

"If you love your job, you'll never work another day in your life."
# 5 25-03-2005 , 10:58 PM
Subscriber
mostly though as far as I know there is no automated way to do this. None of they systems are smart enough to do it. Most just make more swiss cheese of your model than really make the typoligy better. Hard work but buy hand is the way to go. After doing it on a model or so you will start to think in cleen meshes more and not have to wory about it.

# 6 26-03-2005 , 03:42 AM
woops .. wrong assumption. :o Cleanup indeed doesn't do this. Suggested to check out the tool cause after I skimmed through the manual once, it looked liked it would do something like this to me. I'm an impatient reader, u see. :nervous:

Like Michael mentioned, the Quadrangulate and Triangulate work quite well.
They can help you to split a Ngon into multiple triangles and make a quadrangle from 2 adjacent triangles. So to cleanup Ngons, using these tools, u would triangulate first then quadrangulate.