Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 08-06-2005 , 02:03 AM

How to show wireframe on shaded objects????

I am working on the cartoon dog tutorial and have a small problem. I cannot figure out how to show wireframe on a shaded object. It does not stop me from moving on in the tutorial, but it is frustrating and would be good to know! I'll take any advice you've got!

# 2 08-06-2005 , 06:26 AM

do you mean like x-ray?
or do you mean not being able to see through the mesh at all, just like a smooth shade with a wireframe overlay?

# 3 08-06-2005 , 06:47 AM
Subscriber
Look in the "shading" menu of the panel you want wireframes in. Wireframe on shaded should be one of your options.

AIM: mhcannonDMC

"If you love your job, you'll never work another day in your life."
# 4 08-06-2005 , 01:10 PM

Re: ,

Originally posted by Sprite
or do you mean not being able to see through the mesh at all, just like a smooth shade with a wireframe overlay?

Sprite, this is exactly what I am looking for. And I tried what mhcannon said about wireframe on shaded, but nothing changed at all on the object.

Could it be a problem with settings or configuration that does not allow it to show up?

Also, I just checked, and when I right click and go to Isoparms, they do not show up.

I also tried going to EDIT-->NURBS-->Isoparms and nothing shows up unless I click on the object and then I can only see one isoparm at a time!

Overall when I select an object in shaded mode, I cannot even tell it is selected unless I look in the Channel Box.

Thanks to the both of you for all your help so far!

AIM: nuclear297

Last edited by nuclear295; 08-06-2005 at 01:43 PM.
# 5 08-06-2005 , 01:47 PM
press 5 to get smooth shaded view then:

in the panel you want it: shading >> shade options >> wireframe on shaded.

user added image
Alan

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 6 08-06-2005 , 03:21 PM

Re: Re: ,

Thank you for all your help, but I think I just got the answer! Things were really acting goofy, so I went under preferences and reset everything to default! Now shading, isoparms, etc work with flying colors, knock on wood, so I am good for go! Thanks again!

# 7 08-07-2013 , 11:21 PM

If wireframe on shaded not working in Maya

Choose Windows>Settings/Preferences>Display>View>Wireframe on shaded>Full

# 8 17-07-2013 , 08:42 PM
Hello, I'd like to mention these MEL scripts that you can assign to any hotkey, using your Hotkey Editor.
These will toggle related view modes for your current viewport.

Wireframe on Shaded>
string $panel = `getPanel -wf`;
if ( `modelEditor -ex $panel` )
modelEditor -e -wos ( !`modelEditor -q -wos $panel` ) $panel;

X-Ray>
string $panel = `getPanel -wf`;
if ( `modelEditor -ex $panel` )
modelEditor -e -xray ( !`modelEditor -q -xray $panel` ) $panel;

Personally I have WoS on F4 and X-Ray on Alt-X, since I started learning 3D modeling with 3ds Max.

Author unknown, sorry man )