Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 10-07-2005 , 06:57 PM
Subscriber

WHO IS GOING TO HELP ME ???? WORST PROBLEM EVER....

Hello everyone, am Gautam from India.

Actually i am a beginner in 3d modelling and texturing using maya! I just completed my very very basic F22 figter plane model. But almost all of the people i showed it to, told me that the textures i have used on it are USELESS, BLURRY, and very very basic. Since i dont know photoshop, i just picked up the textured map from google and applied it to my plane.

But then i realised that my model would stand really NOWHERE without any photorealistic, hi-res textures!

So from months and months i am trying to search a usefull resource on internet which can guide me fully on how to paint the F22 textures from scratch in photoshop! I even visited the military-meshes website, but they dont have any texture painting tutorials in detail!

I really want to make the textures which would exactly look like these:

https://home.pon.net/hunnicutt/images/F22.jpg

Well i hope that someone would come up and help me out with this, as i cant proceed any further without texturing my plane !!

Wishes and luck to everyone,
Peace,
Gautam.

# 2 10-07-2005 , 07:57 PM
You really need to learn Photoshop if you want to to textures, especially for somthing specific. Sometimes you can find great textures/photographs for things like a wall, a door or a floor, but even then you will probably modefy it to your needs anyway. Simply using other peoples textures (which probably wont do your work any good if not customized, especially for somthing complex) implies lazyness.

If you want to be a modeler i dont think textures are necessary anyway. The person reviewing the reel will know if you capable from a basic gray/wire shots.

I havent seen your model, but remember that no amount of quality textures can improve a model if the model itself isn't good. And bad textures will only make a good model worse.

Why not look into the new SM DVD which cover the entire texturing process (PS included).

Yeah, but no but yeah but no....