Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 30-07-2005 , 11:35 AM
Subscriber

Cloning/Copying polys?

I'm currently having a go at creating a low poly game character, having modelled the torso and arm I have come to the hand. On tutorials that I have read they create a semi well-modelled hand and finger then state to 'clone' the finger so it can be used as the others rather than remodelling a similar finger etc. Is this the way you (the experienced) go about this, and if so how do I clone the finger I have modelled?

If you believe in telekinesis, raise my right hand.
# 2 30-07-2005 , 12:07 PM
Subscriber
Select the model, then use ctrl + d to duplicate.

Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up. --Thomas A. Edison
# 3 30-07-2005 , 12:15 PM
Subscriber
That appears to be duplicating the whole model, I only want the finger to duplicate, and it doesn't seem to work if I select the Faces of the finger then duplicate.

# 4 30-07-2005 , 12:25 PM
Subscriber
Ok, go into face mode, then select your faces (shift select for multiple faces), and Edit Polygons-> Duplicate Face.

That should give you the result you are looking for.

Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up. --Thomas A. Edison
# 5 30-07-2005 , 12:34 PM
Subscriber
Just tried that, and for some reason when I click duplicate with the faces highlighted, the camera seems to have zoomed out immensely and all I can see is a small XYZ 'cross-hairs' and no model user added image :headbang:

Attached Images

# 6 30-07-2005 , 12:41 PM
Subscriber
In your viewport, click on View->Default Home to take you back to the default camera location.

I'm not sure why Maya is doing this after you duplicate faces, but you may want to restart Maya and try again.

# 7 30-07-2005 , 12:51 PM
hi there have you tried selecting the faces of the finger then select extract from the edit polygons menu this should seperate the finger from your model. select the finger than choose duplicate. hope this helps you

# 8 30-07-2005 , 01:08 PM
Subscriber
Brilliant, thanks for the quick responses, after I restarted my computer it worked fine :S

# 9 31-07-2005 , 12:23 AM
Maya seems to be freaking out more and more lately... just recently had Maya offset the UVSnap guidelines ~5 pixels off the way they should be on the third try... the prior 2 times having various polygons absent. Maybe Alias' letting more and more bugs through their QA dept.?