Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 25-10-2002 , 03:11 PM
Subscriber

Millennium Falcon Project MAYDAY

Well its not serious, but I do need some comments on this initial texturing attempt. The texture is of course just some lines, drawn with a small paintbrush tool in photoshop.

1) Is this texture big/sharp enough?
-From afar, I think the texture-file-size will do fine!
-But how about really close up?

2) This is a 2000x2000 pixel big jpeg file. Any comments on file-type for use as a texture file?

3) I will look into how to place textures the right way soon, but please show off with your knowledge if you feel like it. user added image

I need a "static" placement/projection ontop of the main disc, so that the texture remails circular, and not skewed like in my example.

Does photoshop have tools for vector graphics??? Thus, enabling me to simply scale things at a whim. Or must I simply start with a big and properly sized canvas, in order to achieve the proper sharpness in the grapics?

Dont mind the multiple use of the same textured shader, it is the main disc that is important.
And the yellow crosses is just some residue from a scale action, before I drew the dark gray lines a last time

Last edited by undseth; 25-10-2002 at 03:13 PM.
# 2 25-10-2002 , 10:42 PM
Subscriber

Well...

I think I can find a solution to this.

This texture must be made like an ordinary checker-pattern, and then "transformed/wrapped" by Maya, into a sector-like texture.

Not too good, but I can use this "method" I guess.

# 3 26-10-2002 , 04:06 AM
Photoshop does have some vector tools, but they aren't all that great.

For the file types, i'd probably go with .tif or .tga for anything with transparency, only problem is the filesize can be quite large.

# 4 02-11-2002 , 12:03 AM
Subscriber

How can anyone texure this shape...?

Please tell me, there's got to be a way to do this, or have I chosen the wrong angle on this one.

The pic below show a polygon-object for the Millennium Falcon model.

The other window in maya shows me a square "layout".

If i take a "UV snapshot" I only get a wierd and square pic to work with.

Am I doing this wrong? I want to be able to work with a round and a look-alike uv-snapshot taken from the polygon-object of mine.

# 5 02-11-2002 , 12:07 AM
The Maya Mountain
have you tried a planar projection from the top view?

# 6 02-11-2002 , 12:16 AM
Subscriber

PLEASE (nevermind)

How do I do just that mtmckinley!!! ????

-------
I just found out!

There are more options from the main menu.

And now... Its a wrap...

Last edited by undseth; 02-11-2002 at 12:27 AM.
# 7 02-11-2002 , 12:49 AM
Subscriber

Now what? Problem!

I made a "UV snapshot" of the disc, which now turned out nice and almost 100% round.

BUT

1) When I attatch the texture-file onto an object the cube, it turnes out ok, although im not going to texure a cube...

2) When I attatch the texture-file onto my round polygon-object, i get some wierd image in shaded+texture mode (6 on keyboard).

At closer inspection, I see lots of tiny texure files on my object!?!

Tiling is set to 1, how can this be?
What could have gone wrong here?

Last edited by undseth; 02-11-2002 at 12:52 AM.
# 8 02-11-2002 , 01:51 AM
The Maya Mountain
this is happening because you have not mapped your surface. A primitive is already mapped, so it works fine, but after you extrude faces, and whatever other poly tools, the new faces aren't mapped correctly, so each face is mapped like that. You'll want to select your surface, go into top view, Edit Poly > Texture > Planar Map > options. In projection direction, change to Camera. Apply. You should see the difference...

# 9 02-11-2002 , 08:59 AM
Subscriber

Yes!

Yes! user added image :banana: user added image

# 10 02-11-2002 , 10:16 AM
Subscriber

But whats wrong here? TIFF

I attatched a high-res tiff image to another poly-object, but it seems that it is transparent!?!?

So, what have I done wrong here?
The texture file did not look like this in photoshop, the dark gray areas were solid, now theyre transparent-like in the rendering of this texture.

# 11 02-11-2002 , 08:09 PM
Hmm, perhaps there´s an alpha channel being mapped into transparency. I mean the image (*tiff) might have an alpha channel which is being mapped into transparency.

Although I certainly don´t know how to fix this (since I haven´t textured at all) it could give others some pointers on helping you out.

regards ... hope you do solve it though.

# 12 02-11-2002 , 08:17 PM
Subscriber

I hope...

...someone can figure this out for me!

I just found out how to use photoshops vector tools user added image.

So when this tiff "problem" is sorted out, I will begin to make killer textures.user added image

...oh, maybe there was a setting I forgot to turn to 0 or something... I'll try it again! After i have made another rendering of the falcon, with a REAL starscape.

Last edited by undseth; 02-11-2002 at 08:24 PM.
# 13 02-11-2002 , 08:30 PM
The Maya Mountain
I'm assuming that's a render... looks like it.

The only reason you would have any sort of transparancy, is if you have a file mapped to the transparancy attribute of your material. If so, you'll want to check it and make sure that it's completely black where you want it to be opaque. Even if it's just slightly off-black, it'll be just slightly transparant...

Hope that works.