Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 21-08-2005 , 10:55 AM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon

booleans

hello,
i'm learning maya through lynda .com video's and in one off this video's you get to create a robot and when i get to the part where i want to create a mouth with the boolean tool, instead off inserting the mouth my revolve disappears and only the mouth remains :headbang:
the mouth is a loft made out off two rectancular curves and the body where i want to create a mouth in is a revolve, then i place the mouth inside the body (it still sticks out off the body), deselect all, click onn the boolean tool,click the body,enter,click mouth,enter
what am i doing wrong?

# 2 23-08-2005 , 10:47 PM
Subscriber
Hi there. First of all, there are three types of Boolean operations, so I assume you are doing the Boolean difference operation.

With the difference operation, order selection is VERY IMPORTANT.

The first object you select will be the one you take the "bite out of". The second will be the "shape of the bite". When you have selected the two objects, the color of the selection of the first one will be white, and the second will be green.

My advice is to try to reverse the order of your selection, and try again.

Hope that helps.
Drought

Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up. --Thomas A. Edison
# 3 24-08-2005 , 03:58 PM
Hello,

I am using Lynda's video tutorials as well. I am also having a problem with the boolean operation at this stage. I have created the "box" for the mouth, positioned it in the body, but I go to Edit NURBs -> Booleans -> Union Tool, select the body, hit enter, select the rectangle, and hit enter, and Maya says:

Error: explodeNurbsShell8 (Explode Nurbs Shell Node): Not a valid NURBS shell.

I have tried selecting things in different order, etc., but it just doesn't work. Any ideas?

# 4 25-08-2005 , 07:22 PM
Subscriber
Well, I don't know the specifics of the tutorial you are working on, but in order to perform a Booleans Union operation you just need to select both polygons and hit the union tool. The enter key should not be necessary.

Drought

Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up. --Thomas A. Edison
# 5 25-08-2005 , 08:32 PM

Originally posted by Drought
Well, I don't know the specifics of the tutorial you are working on, but in order to perform a Booleans Union operation you just need to select both polygons and hit the union tool. The enter key should not be necessary.

Drought

Problem was solved in another thread user added image Thanks.