Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 25-08-2005 , 12:22 AM

start of a mclaren

I've been working with maya for about an hour a day at h.s for about a month now and since i got it at home a couple weeks ago i decided to try modeling a mclaren. I'm following an example of a modeling of a ford focus and i just started the rims. Can anyone tell me how to duplicate the rim around the pivot point so i don't have to manually duplicate, move, and rotate. Thanks

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 25-08-2005 , 12:00 PM
Yeah! Move the pivot to the center of the middle thingy on the rim. Then choose how many spokes you wanna have, then devide 360 by that number, find the correct axis, put in the right valuse, duplicate.

Cheers, user added image
,Matt user added image

# 3 25-08-2005 , 09:17 PM
Little update, here's the rims now. Put a little hole thing in the middle and bent it out a little bit. Now to make the disc brake and the actual tire. If you noticed my rims is just a cylinder, if anyone could give me a tip on how to make a curve so the rim actually has a little lip on both sides that would be helpful. I couldn't figure it out :'(

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by jbannick; 25-08-2005 at 11:17 PM.
# 4 27-08-2005 , 05:21 AM
another update! even though noone is commenting :'(. But i started the modeling of the actual car, as you can see i still have a far way to go.

# 5 27-08-2005 , 05:22 AM
heres the pic

Attached Thumbnails
# 6 27-08-2005 , 07:15 AM
looking good user added image

I too tried modelling a car after using maya for only a short while. It can be frustrating finding all the options and (very slowly) learning new techniques but it's definately worth it.

For the rim problem (if you're polygon modelling) you could select all the edges where you want the lip, extrude the edges and move them into a different position. Keep doing that till you have the desired lip.

It might be easier to use:
edit polygons -> cut faces tool
near the edge which will give you the extra faces/edges to move to the required position. Basically have a play with those tools and see what happens user added image

Examples of bTraffic - a traffic animation tool for Maya
bFlocking - a tool for Maya 8.5+ to generate flocking and swarming behaviours
Jan/Feb Challenge 2007 Entry and W.I.P
May/Jun Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Mar/Apr Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Jan/Feb Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Nov/Dec Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Sep/Oct Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Jul/Aug Challenge 2005 Entry
www.flash-fx.net