thanks Joopson & THX1138
final todo's (with limited time)
1) Dragon - finish texturing horns and bits on his tail, have a try at creating a slightly mottled scale effect for some areas. Play with contrast/highlights (especially on his toes). Add a rig??.
2) Samurai - add bones for his hands (only up to wrist so far). Add backbone rig controls. Re-paint the mesh weights for when he's sat on the dragon.
would likes (but not likely till after the competition):
1) Dragon - finish normal mapping the metallic version, add specular map and any other maps that are needed. Increase contrast.
2) Baddie character (finished modelling it) - texture and rig.
3) Samurai - create some facial expressions (blendshapes?)
4) Create an example game background.
5) All - animate some basic movement patterns as if in game.